new artex splitting and cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Weve just finished some work in our hallway that has involved adding a doorway making a window smaller etc so a large area is plaster board some is the original plaster, The whole hallway is currently artexed and although i`m not a fan of artex at present funds wont stretch to having the whole lot plastered so as a make do we were hoping to artex the area were the work has been done nad paint to make it passable till funds allow the pros comin in to plaster.
However the artex is splitting and cracking quite badly on both the original plaster and plaster board, I have tried pva/water mix on walls letting it dry then applying artex, pva/water mix and artexing when still tacky, adding pva to the artex but annoyingly none of this has helped any.
Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this or if theres a product to add to the artex or paint on walls prior to application?
Or is it simply a case of not mixing correctly?
I`ve mix as per instructions on bag with cold water and made sure heating was off and windows closed whilst attempting to artex.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Sponsored Links
hi i used to do a lot of artex in the late eighties when it was a very popular choice! :LOL:
however i dont recall using pva as a primer sealer, we used the artex primer sealer which was similar to a silk emulsion finish, this was left to dry, and then slap the artex on.
i think you may have overdone the pva, meaning that the surface was glassy and the artex isnt keying properly.
also adding pva to the mix will not help either.
let it dry and then you should be able to overpaint, the cracks may fill with paint , try brushing your choice of finish on to load the artex with paint rather than use a roller.
hope this is of some help to you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back