New Back Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I would like your opinion on a quote i received for a new PVC rear door, its like the one shown but without the blue glass, also included in the quote is a toplight with a rose in stained glass and fitting. I was quoted £780, does this seem competitive or is it too much?

door.JPG

Sponsored Links
Yep, nice door but seriously think about having a hardwood solid door instead, will be cheaper and stronger for security reason.

I suppose you want to know why now ;)

I can break into any UPVC door within 2 mins :cry: and the hardwood door is almost impossible as it take too much time & noise.

Sadly looking at your door, I reckon I can get in less than a minute :eek:

Forget all their claims of the good old multi-lock system blah blah blah

I'm not trying to frighten you but felt you should be told about this because they either won't tell you or they don't know. :mad:

I can advise you on type of door locks, hinge bolts etc for solid door if you need to know.

now i'm scared :eek:

last thing i want is some chav running around my home when i am in bed, i know someone can break in no matter what measures you take, but i didnt realise it could be done so quickly, i had looked into wooden doors, but i couldnt find anyone near me and to be honest i would prefer a wooden door as my front door is wooden, a nice rich dark green would be nice to match. thank you for your advice and if you can point me in the right direction as to someone in my area who could supply and fit along with advice on door locks\hinge bolts i would be grateful.

i'm not asking for much am i !!

thanks again

garya

Where are you in Yorkshire? I'm on the border and there's no problem finding what you want round here

Scrit

Sponsored Links
I am in the Halifax area, could you help me out with suppliers, fitters please?

thanks

garya

Have a read here

More details on locks here

A solid door with as little window frame as possible eg: not half window, half door etc is the way to go.

Best to get a decent door frame as well.

There's a company in Todmorden who make hardwood and softwood doors to size in a variety of styles/timbers (no connection with these people, BTW, just used them a couple of rimes:

Todmorden Door & Window Centre
Caldervale Mill
Pudsey Road
Todmorden
OL14 8NJ
Tel: 01706 815234

I'm not in a position to suggest anyone to fit as I'm in the trade locally, and that's not allowed :cry:

I'd agree with the suggestion to get a hardwood frame to go with your door. If you are after about the ultimate in security, then Mul-T-Lock do a 4-way espagnolette mechanism with a pretty pickproof lock. I've used these on high security (workshop) doors a few times. They shoot bolts into the frame on all 4 sides. Downside is they must be installed when the door goes in and they cost about £200 or so. Mul-T-Lock also make Euro barrels which are pretty tough, too. You need a keycard to get keys cut for them, so you have to remember not to loose the card! For domestic hinge bolts on the hinge side and a couple of decent quality 5-lever drill-proof mortise locks on the other side will give you commercial-level door security.

If you don't need the window in the door it is possible to get plywood faced exterior grade doors which have a hardwood blockboard core. These are very secure and don't cost the earth.

Scrit

thanks very much scrit, thats excellent info, i will give them a call.

cheers !!

Garya

garya said:
has anyone ever used http://www.doorwarehouse.co.uk ? can anyone vouch for the quality of their products ?

thanks

garya

Hi Garya, I am Dave from the www.doorwarehouse.co.uk as your local to us, please call in for a chat, we have around 200 doors displayed in a carpeted showroom and a toy corner for the kids. We give free advice on timber doors and are open 7 days. Hope to see you soon.

Those plastic doors are so expensive fitted, somebody must be making a good living out of them. Can't understand it myself, a good hardwood door, frame, hinges and locks will be better and cost less.

(and doesn't look horrible).

Got a link to this page on a google search,
Amazed to see such genuine answers to simple questions

I've used a good company who're based in Glasgow - they have an internet site called www.thedoorworld.com and have a pretty wide range of both UPVC and timber doors. They can ship the door to you but you'll have to find a joiner to fit it - life is never simple, is it?

If high security is a must I would be going for a composite door with steel lining.
This is what I have put on the rear of my house and its solid and basically maintenance free. just needs a wipe down every few months with a damo cloth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back