New ball valve fitted - noisy tank now!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just had a plumber fit a new ball valve in cold water tank as it was causing the overflow to leak outside. No problems with the overflow but the tank is making noise filling up when using the HW now. Have done a google and it sounds like the new ball valve could have a low pressure fitting but the water is high pressure?? Does this sound right and can the plumber easily remedy this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does this sound right and can the plumber easily remedy this? Thanks
Only a rank incompetent would put a low pressure float valve on a high pressure supply.

What sort of noise, water splashing into the water, a whooshing sound, a whistle?

Was it noisy before he left? Was he advised that you were not happy with the noise?
Is there an isolating valve prior to the float valve? It may not have been opened fully. That will cause noise.

LOL - I won't tell the plumber this. I went into the loft and the noise is clearly coming from the pipe that feeds from the mains into the tank. It's like a loud humming noise which sounds like the water pressure is too high. The tank is filling fast but the tank itself isn't making the noise.
Rang the plumber who is coming out later this week - he thinks that he fitted the correct valve. Could it possibly be anything else though? And I am assuming, noise pollution aside, it's safe at the moment?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No it doesn't stop it but the pipe isn't moving or anything. It just sounds like the water is running faster and louder (?) with the new ball valve which is why I thought the valve wasnt right for the pressure. The noise is audible from downstairs and is just a much louder version of how it sounded pre bew valve. Does this make sense and is it likely the wrong prsssure ball valve? And is it safe for now? LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back