New bathroom installation, but very old boiler being kept. ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Long time no see. May I ask a question?

I have a customer who is, like most folk nowadays, pretty tight on money. He has an old combi fitted in his bathroom that is about 25 years old. Apparently it still gets serviced.

I have been asked to fit a new bathroom with a shower instead of a bath plus tiling and a bit of old wall repair. But the gent does not want the boiler touched at all - not even boxed in. His attitude is that it is fine if it is left alone and I 'work around it'.

I am happy to do this but is there anything I should be wary of? Do I leave myself exposed to any agro if I do what is asked and walk away after job completion? Do I have any obligation?

Thank you in advance. I hope to get back to this thread tonight.

Sponsored Links
Not up on the regs regarding combis myself but I would imagine that if you are not touching the boiler then the consequenses have nothing to do with you. You are simply fitting a bathroom suite and possibly tiling. If the boiler was sited in the airing cupboard, you wouldn't be aware of it anyway.

IMO?

Thanks squeaky. This is how I see things. I'd like a few more opinions if possible just in case there is anything I may of missed.

Thanks again.

if the boiler is not in a cupboard you may find yourself in problems regarding the zoning of electrical equipment in bathrooms. You need to check on the sparky forum.

Sponsored Links
needs to have a cupboard built round it, you are upgrading the bathroom so you are responsible

Something else to bear in mind is that some old combis were open flued, and that is a big no no for bathrooms. Other than that, electrical zones are something to consider.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back