New bathroom installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to attempt my first bathroom change this weekend. My flat is ex council and is a 60's build. Im assuming its likely to have imperial pipe fittings? I have looked at the supply pipes to the bath and the hot is large (22mm ish) and cold small (15mm ish). The drain and overflow are both metal and seperate from each other. Are these all likely to be imperial so I will find it difficult to join to metric fittings?

Im going for the toilet on friday (its in a seperate room) and I figure much easier. The bath is an old metal thing. I intend buying everything from screwifx. bnq, wickes and the like tonight/tomorrow but they only sell metric

Any advice greatly received.

Sponsored Links
Even a professional will add extra cost to a job like this because of the added bother matching up old fittings.

Supply pipes are not a problem because adapters are available but the wastes can be more difficult when they are in lead.

Its often better to start afresh and remove all the wastes and replace everythign in plastic as far as the hopper. That usually means drilling new holes through the wall.

Tony

Hi, your probably find the 22mm is 3/4mm so you may need a 3/4 to 22 coupling then carry on as normal. Maybe a compression fitting can sort this. The 15mm maybe slightly thicker, but should fit in a coupling. Remember to add some ballfix coupling so you can isolate.saves lots of grief. As for the lead waste do these come out the wall and into hoppers? have a look outside. If so I recently done my bathroom and ripped them out and replaced with plastic 1"and half for bath, 1"and quarter for sink it was easier than trying to join. May need to have some floor up to see the runs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back