Fitting New Mains Stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Turned my stopcock off today to change some taps and when i tried to turn it back on it only moves a tiny bit (even with a spanner). I have just a trickle of water comming through. It will still turn off but will only turn on a little. :(
I need to fit a new stopcock. I have done a bit of plumbing (end feed and compression joints but i am not sure as to whether the rising main is metric or imperial. The house was built in the fifties so i would guess at it being imperial. :?:
I gauged the outside diameter of the rising main before the stopcock and if anything it is very slightly larger than the 15mm pipework.
If this is imperial is there anything i should be aware of before starting this job as i have only ever worked with 15mm and 22mm pipe. :!:

Sponsored Links
You will be ok because 15mm is the same as 1/2"
I take it, it is copper coming in?

Yes its copper comming in.
Just a bit concerned about any problems i might come across if the mains is imperial :confused:

Sponsored Links
If it's 1/2" pipework then the O.D. is close enough to 15mm not to matter, but personally I'd strive not to disturb the compression connections.

Just remove the stop cock valve body. The vast majority are compatible with new stop cocks, but if you have one with different threads then go ahead and change the entire stop cock.

sparky24 said:
will a 15mm olive fit on 1/2 pipe?
Usually, but not always. Occasionally I come across 1/2" pipe that has extra thick walls and therefore won't accept a 15mm olive without some wire wool and elbow grease.

err.. :confused: .if it`s pipe from Underground .and it`s the stopcock near the floor.given the year and that it`s copper ...it`s probably soft copper :eek: which uses a manipulative compression fitting and is not like straight lengths of copper .wanna post a pic :?:

If its as Nige says, you should leave it in situ and fit another stoptap next to it.

Could save you a lot of grief with different fittings etc. ;)

Bahco, i need to replace it as i cant open it enough.

Nige F, how do i post a picture?

Bahco, i need to replace it as i cant open it enough.

Make sure you have the correct fitting from your supply pipe to the new stoptap and that you fit the stoptap with the arrow pointing towards the flow.

I installed my own one with the arrow pointing to the supply and wondered why the pressure had dropped. :oops:

What fittings do you suggest as i am not sure of the incomming pipe apart from it is copper and its outside diameter is very very close to that of 15mm pipe :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back