New bathroom layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post, so a bit about the project that I'm hopefully undertaking in the next few months/years. :D

My wife and I are in the stages of exchanging on a chalet style house, which needs a fair bit of work (mostly cosmetic), including a new kitchen and bathroom.

I think the bathroom is going to be the first room that we tackle, mainly because of the layout (bath under the pitch of the roof) meaning that we can't stand up to have a shower...

In my terrible drawing in Excel, it shows the impact of the pitched roof in green on the current design. I was considering taking the airing cupboard wall down and extending a touch out into the landing, where I could build a shower into. Then move the bath (blue blob!) onto the wall under the window, with the toilet and sink the wasll where the bath is now...

I was just wondering if anyone could spot something to optimise the space more efficiently, without putting the shower by the window for the neighbours to watch? ;)

Ideas gratefully received!

Cheers,

Tim

Sponsored Links
Is it entirely necessary to have a bath. We took ours out and have a nice walk in shower. Ideally, we would have gone for a wet-room type layout, but we didn't bother in the end.

Only occasionally have we wished we'd had kept the bath to soak in.

what kind of price range are we looking at here?
roof type?
conservation area?
view / properties to rear of property ( or whatever side corresponds to the bottom of the drawing? )

I'm thinking 3 dormer windows one in th bathroom ( incorporating the airing cupboard space ), a smaller one over the stairs ( providing light into the well ) and one in the master bedroom ( for extra light and for ballance mainly.. )

them possibly blocking the existing window in the bathroom and / or the existing door ( using the airing cupboard door for access.. )

this puts the bath along the bedroom wall, toilet roughly where the sink is, and sink in the dormer area..

obviously this will be a rather more costly afair than a simple bathroom revamp.. probably ( and wildly guessing here ) in the £15-25k range?

Thanks for your replies so far :)

Is it entirely necessary to have a bath.

Good question, though unfortunately it still means the shower would have to be in front of the window as this is the highest part of the room.

I guess if we were to make any compromises it would be not having a cubicle, just over the bath

Sponsored Links
ColJack";p="1633677 said:
what kind of price range are we looking at here? [/.quote]

Not a huge amount - maybe £4k as I'll do most of the work myself

roof type?[/.quote]

It's a standard rafter/felt/tile

conservation area?[/.quote]

Fortunately no, just a small village in south Northamptonshire

view / properties to rear of property ( or whatever side corresponds to the bottom of the drawing? )[/.quote]

Sorry - my drawing wasn't the best! To the bottom of the drawing the garage, from the right looking left is the front, so from the front you see the gable (typical 60s/70s chalet type)

I'm thinking 3 dormer windows one in th bathroom ( incorporating the airing cupboard space ), a smaller one over the stairs ( providing light into the well ) and one in the master bedroom ( for extra light and for ballance mainly.. )

them possibly blocking the existing window in the bathroom and / or the existing door ( using the airing cupboard door for access.. )

this puts the bath along the bedroom wall, toilet roughly where the sink is, and sink in the dormer area..

obviously this will be a rather more costly afair than a simple bathroom revamp.. probably ( and wildly guessing here ) in the £15-25k range?

This is probably the ideal, and is similar to what some of the neighbours have done. Some have also created a dormer just to give the extra height. Unfortunately haven't got the funds at the moment without sacrificing lots of other things in the house! :(

Cheers

Tim

<dammit - how do you do multiple quote formatting?!>

Most with chalet style houses where I live build out removing the lower roof section to give much more space, I would extend the property before fiddling with a bathroom layout which is too small to be worthwhile.

it's [/quote] not[/.quote] at the end.. no period..

what's the height at the green lines?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back