Need advice on bathroom layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We are going to have a new bathroom fitted. I've never planned a bathroom before and I'd really appreciate some layout and sizing tips.

I've done some measuring and here is the bathroom as it is now:

The rectangle at the bottom is our shower and the bath is the narrower rectangle above. The thin rectangle above that is the window sill which is above the bath's height.

The shower is currently a solid enclosure with just a glass door facing right. We will be replacing the shower with an all glass cubicle and the bath with a shorter, free standing bath with free standing taps.

I'm hoping to fit in a 1200x900 shower and a 1585x790 free standing bath.

This would look a bit like this:

So basically, do you think this would fit and look ok?

The shower width of 1200mm takes it right up to the door frame and so will intrude more as you walk through the door. But then it's glass and so will hopefully feel more open than the slightly narrower but solid walled current shower.

And also would the bath feel too close to the shower? I'm thinking I need to have the bath about 150mm from the wall the accommodate the taps. The bath we like has tapered sides.

It's here:

http://www.betterbathrooms.com/baths/roll-top-baths/tub-1600-double-ended-bath/

These are the taps:

http://www.betterbathrooms.com/sanctuary-waterfall-bath-shower-mixer-pack/

What do you think?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Looks cramp.How are you going to clean the exterior of the bath and shower?

Hi, thanks for your response.

I can imagine cleaning the floor behind the bathroom may need a very narrow mop or something, but I can't see that cleaning the outside of the shower or bath should be too much of an issue.

I guess my main worry now is whether the bath will look too close to the shower and the shower will be hard to get into.

The shower door is sliding and on the longest side nearest the corner.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dear Jack,
I suggest that you also cut out these dimensions and put them on the floor (of the stripped bathroom if possible or say on your garage floor). I suggest this as when i did this in a small bathroom I though my drawings like yours looked great, but then I found that I did not like the flow and so moved the paper arround. When doing this I was considering where I could stand whilst getting dried, and if there was enough room for my knees (to the sink) and my bottom (to the wall at the side) when sitting on the toilet. Also try want ing into your (paper) room and see if you can easily do you normal route to toilet, shower, etc

>>> The following links are the first hits from Google - and are not items that I do or do not recommend you use <<<<<

Looking at your drawing I would say:
1) Getting in to your shower looks tight. I might be okay, but do you want okay when you use the shower once a day. Could you use a shower with teh door as a curve like this>>
http://www.betterbathrooms.com/show...res/aqualine-1200-x-900-offset-shower-cubicle
However, note that this type of shower has a significantly smaller floor than a rectangle shower.

2) Could you use a narrower sink to make route to the toilet more direct and give you more floor space (And do you have storage)?
http://www.earthbathrooms.co.uk/pro...igh-gloss-white-wall-mounted-sink-and-cabinet.

3) The curved shower will also mean that you can move the Sink slightly closer to the door, giving you more leg room on toilet.

4) "main worry now is whether the bath will look too close to the shower" < This might be true, but you will benifit from having a Shower (which is easier/nicer to use than a bath Shower), and still having a bath (even if you do not use it often) means that you can sell your house (as people are put off houses with no bath).

Hope this helps, SFK

Sponsored Links
Thanks SFK, paper cutouts is a great idea.

I agree, I am thinking the main concern is that shower entrance.

I don't really like curved showers, if anything I would go for a smaller bath ( I have found one but it's not as nice it's about 15 cm shorter) or use a 80 cm wide shower. But the shower is what will get used far more, amd I want it to be as nice as poss.

I'm not too worried about sink toilet, in fact those are the existing ones and we'll just replace with similar or smaller.

It kind of comes down to 3 choices:

Go with bath and shower I like but it might be tight.

Go with smaller bath I dont like as much ( don't mind the smaller size I just don't like the design as much)

Reduce shower to 80cm wide. How different does a 120x90 shower feel compared to a 120x80 I wonder.

Thanks

:) that's the very one I'm thinking of as a fall back plan.

shorter but I don't like it as much.

I've found others that are nice and a bit smaller than my 1st choice, but that Lisbon is the smallest I've seen.

I thought finding a shower with the door on the 90 cm side would help. But I just can't find one.

Another idea is to tilt the bath so bottom edge is against the wall. This would help hugely.

Do you think a free standing bath would look ok tilted at an angle in a small room?

IMO I think a freestanding bath will look daft in any bathroom not big enough to accommodate it. Even a 1400 freestanding bath would look out of place in this bathroom the way its laid out.

Do you have kids? If so there will be water everywhere after bathtime and you will just end up with a difficult to reach area at the back that will end up mucky/wet.

And even if you don’t have kids any future buyers who do have kids will think that and will wonder why a more sensible bath was not chosen.

I'd consider a 900x900 quadrant shower - I have one and they're pretty roomy (though it depends what you intend to be doing in the shower - I note that you've chosen a double-ended bath
wink4.gif
).

And consider a smallish, rounded basin.

Both the above effectively cut the corners off and make it easier to move around. Check you have enough knee room in front of the loo and that a person sitting on it doesn't have their head over the basin
bog.gif

Cheers
Richard

Hi guys,

Freddy, you may have a point there. No-one else has mentioned that a freestanding bath is not appropriate for a small bathroom. I'm happy with the cleaning aspect etc. But I will mention your point and see what the guys say.

Gerald, ha ha... :) all coincidental I assure you... We all prefer showers so the bath is just in case someone feels like a change.

And the big shower? well I like to dance while I sing, what can I say?

Quadrant shower makes sense, but my wife hates them. I'm not much of a fan either :(

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back