New bathroom tap making very loud noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new bathroom fitted and the sink was finally plumbed in yesterday after 10 days out of action. I've just turned on the new tap for the first time this morning and there's a very loud noise when the water (hot and cold) is running at normal speed. It sounds almost like a giant blowtorch and is so loud that I can hear it in the room below!

When the water is at a dribble speed there's no noise, and when it's on full pelt it's also fine, but when it's running at normal speed it makes the blowtorch noise. We had no issue with the previous taps (which were separate hot and cold).

Could this just be due to air in the system because the pipe hasn't been used for 10 days, or is it another issue? I've tried running the taps for a couple of minutes to see if it makes any difference but it hasn't.

It's a similar type of tap to this model: www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Mirang-Lever-Basin-Mixer-Tap---Chrome/p/161652

Is this something I can fix myself or will I need to get our bathroom guy back? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Is there nothing that can be done to fix it then - other than buying a more expensive tap? I think the one I've got was about £99, so not exactly cheap!

See if there are valves on the hot and cold pipework ,immediately below the tap. If there are you MAY be able to adjust the flow to alleviate it ,it might work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Terry - I will have a look under the sink. I'm just wondering why the noise disappears when running the water full pelt?

Thanks Terry. I'm a complete novice on this sort of stuff, but I've attached two photos of what I can see from under the sink.

Attachments

• IMG_4798.JPG
    IMG_4798.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_4797.jpg
    IMG_4797.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 747
Second pic shows isolator valve. See in the middle there is a screw head slot. When slot us in line with pipe its fully open. When at 90 degree across its fully closed. Put a Flat bladed screwdriver in the slot and turn it so its in between vertical and horizontal (do that to both hot and cold valves) ,see if any difference. Be aware that the flow at the tap spout will be reduced compared to what it was.

Thanks so much Terry! Should I turn it 90 degrees clockwise or anti-clockwise? Also, just to be 100% sure, is it the pic I've attached here that you're referring to? (I'm almost certain it is, but I don't want to turn the wrong screw!) Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_4797.jpg
    IMG_4797.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 283
Does not usually matter clockwise or anticlockwise. Yes its that pic. Isolation valve ,big silver nut at each end , slot in the middle.

Great - thanks. I'll give it a go later on and let you know what happens! Really appreciate your help!

First house.
Just to add what Terry said and your comment "90 degrees clockwise or anti-clockwise?".
Turning the screw 90degrees will stop ALL the water, so no need to do that much unless you need to isolate the tap (which is useful to know if you ever need to do this in future).
So you need to turn it say 15degrees so you still get flow but at a reduced rate and hopefully reduced noise.
SFK

Hi SFK, ah yes - thanks for pointing that out. My fault for misreading Terry's post! I do get a real gush of water at the moment when it's on full pelt, so reducing the flow to try and stop the noise shouldn't be a problem. I'll look tonight and let you know how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back