New bathroom tap making very loud noise

First_House,
Pleasure and note that I know about these valves as I have mine significantly turned down/off using these valves to stop water bouncing out of sink, and to reduce wasted water.

And as terry said, give us an update asap as we need closure. :>
SFK

Sponsored Links
I'm back with an update! I used a screwdriver to turn the two isolator valves as Terry suggested to about 60 degrees, and the water pressure was quite a lot less (but still perfectly acceptable for a bathroom sink). There's still a bit of noise when I turn on the tap but it's a huge amount better than it was. I can barely hear anything now in the room below when the tap upstairs is running, which is great. I might have a further play with the valves tomorrow to close them a fraction more and see if I can improve on it even further!

I just have a couple of questions for you experts out there:

* Are there any adverse effects to leaving the isolator values half open on a permanent basis?
* Does it matter if one valve is slightly more closed than the other?
* Obviously when I turn on the tap, the water is still flowing through the pipes as far as the isolator valves. When it can't get past there to the tap, what happens to it?
* If I were to buy a pressure-reducing valve device for each pipe, would that eliminate the noise completely?
* Would buying a new and better quality tap eliminate the noise completely? As I mentioned previously, the tap I've got cost £99 so it wasn't a cheapo one!

Thanks again!

No problem leaving valves in any position you like ,matching or not.
Valve fully closed is same as kitchen tap closed ,water just waiting to come out !! Pressure reducing valve may be beneficial ,no guarantee it will be a quieter tap. Tap manufacturers dont list the quietness of their taps , paying lots of dosh is more to do with finish and looks / designer shapes ,rather than internal engineering .

Sponsored Links
Thanks Terry - genuinely massively appreciate your help with this!

One other question (sorry!) which is sort of related...

When I flush the loo next to the bathroom sink, the water pressure from the tap is reduced. As soon as the toilet tank has refilled (which doesn't take very long) the water pressure in the sink returns to usual levels. Is that normal?

Is your cold water fom the mains ?
Is your hot water from a combi boiler ?
If yes to both its common when operating any outlet tap/ wc/ shower/ washing machine etc for another outlet to be affected if opened at the same time.

Hi Terry, yes indeed. Sounds like that's nothing to worry about then! Cheers!

"When I flush the loo next to the bathroom sink, the water pressure from the tap is reduced. Is that normal?"
The Simpsons say it is (and unfortunately it also happens in my house due to 100year old and narrow water pipe from mains pipe in road to my house stop cock):

Hi there,

Did you manage to get this sorted? I’m asking as I have exactly the same issue as you described.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back