New Block Paving... to seal or not to seal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is the question...

I'm about to have a new drive laid in concrete Tegula type blocks, is it wise to seal once done or not?

Sponsored Links
Pavers recommend sealing after 3-6 months.
My neighbour did a couple of years ago and his block paving is still immaculate and retains the wet effect.
So if i had paving i would do it.

Pavers recommend sealing after 3-6 months.
My neighbour did a couple of years ago and his block paving is still immaculate and retains the wet effect.
So if i had paving i would do it.

Marshall tegula block paving isn't shiny. That kind of look is the reserve of PIC, and looks awful IMO (each to their own)

Sponsored Links
Marshall tegula block paving isn't shiny. That kind of look is the reserve of PIC, and looks awful IMO (each to their own)

It would be a mat finish we will use not the glossy finish. We have some sample blocks and they look dull, when its got water on they look a lot nicer :) hence me thinking the sealer would give it the wet look all the time.

What blocks are you having? We are getting ours done, starting tomorrow and I was wondering about a sealer too.

We are having these:

https://www.beesleyandfildes.co.uk/...yleagh-100-x-150-x-50mm-800no-per-pack-12m2-/

Oddly we have gone to the same place and got the Country Cobble Cashel with their Slate Cobble border. Our original choice was the A&G Sorrento in Brunello but they are not in production at the moment :( but the Cashel is a decent match and the Mrs is happy.

I see you in Lancashire, which company is doing yours?

hubby of the mrs work colleague is on furlough and does this type of work on new builds finishing off drives, footpaths etc so he’s doing the Labour, I work for a company that supplies utility companies so have called in a couple of favours material wise. It’s not going to save me a massive amount in my head I budgeted on 4 - 5k. Had quote from 2.8k up to 6.5k. I’m picky on finishes so have gone for the hardly noticeable drains at the bottom of the drive. Asked for 140mm of sub and 50mm sand etc and should come in on 4K including my oak raised beds. So I’m happy, it’s done to my spec and fingers crossed all goes smoothly he’s coming to dig out Sunday 8 am.

That sounds ideal, I’m having problems with the people doing mine already.

Apparently they had some kind of tape measure problem when they originally quoted me but didn’t noticed untill midday yesterday, by which time my old driveway had been ripped up and was looking like Mount Everest on my front garden.

That sounds ideal, I’m having problems with the people doing mine already.

Apparently they had some kind of tape measure problem when they originally quoted me but didn’t noticed untill midday yesterday, by which time my old driveway had been ripped up and was looking like Mount Everest on my front garden.

so they miss measured? By how much? Mine is only 50m2 not a massive area.

They quoted £7500 for a 100mtr area then said they under quoted by £5000 :eek:

They offered to either clear the spoil, stone up and forget the job for £2500 or carry on and complete it for £10,500.

In the end we came to a gentleman’s agreement that I would pay £8000. That extra £500 hurts and will cost them any kind of recommendation from me despite doing a really good job. Shame.

It would be a mat finish we will use not the glossy finish. We have some sample blocks and they look dull, when its got water on they look a lot nicer :) hence me thinking the sealer would give it the wet look all the time.
Wet look appears a bit 'tacky' imo...

I used 'Thompsons Clear One Coat Patio and Block Paving Seal' on our blocks and after 4 years just about to re-coat.

It's been easy to keep clean and looks more natural, again imo.

They quoted £7500 for a 100mtr area then said they under quoted by £5000 :eek:

They offered to either clear the spoil, stone up and forget the job for £2500 or carry on and complete it for £10,500.

In the end we came to a gentleman’s agreement that I would pay £8000. That extra £500 hurts and will cost them any kind of recommendation from me despite doing a really good job. Shame.

i would be buying them a cheap tape measure as a parting gift! You need to make sure they don’t cut corners ie less sub base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back