New Boiler - £4,000!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, first poster here, just had scottish gas round quoting for a new boiler in my top-floor flat, and the magic number is as stated in the topic title...

Basically got a 20-year old baxi boiler in an internal cupboard, as far from an external wall in our flat as you can get, with a flue going straight up and out the roof.

Scottish gas man says replacing that boiler where it is would necessitate scaffolding on our roof to install a new flue, and the type of boiler needed would be illegal soon anyways... any particular reason why they can't use the existing flue, why would a bog standard boiler be illegal? He recommended a combi/condensing boiler on an external wall where our existing hot water tank is, and this itself would need about 30 foot of gas piping laid under the floors to reach there so mucho disruption. Also we have cast iron drainpipes out back and I've heard the condensate can knack them as it's acidic.

sorry I'm not that up with the technical detail... but I smell bullpoo somewhere along the line, and looking at some regs --> http://www.oftec.co.uk/documents/IS_scottish_building_stds_31.pdf it seems to say that exemptions can be made if it is uneconomic, which this will be at £4,000 - I'd be cheaper paying stamp duty and legal fees and moving to a flat with a new boiler already in...

Sponsored Links
Is there no access hatch on to the flat roof above your flat???

Or is it a pitched and tiled roof???

Any new boiler will need a new flue but the gas supply will need to be uprated and the condensate will need to be taken to a drain using a pimp if necessary.

The condensate is only very mildly acidic and its considered by most people that its OK to put it into a 4" c.i. soil pipe.

Tony

rob: yeh, doing that, but it'd be interesting to know if the guy was just talking utter clart or not. :D

agile: pitch and tiled roof with an almightly loft space above me the current flue goes through. It's an old tenement flat (?>100 years) so up there is "here be dragons" territory. A century of off-cut building material, pipes, tiles etc, which partially does the job insulation might if we could get it fitted.
So the flue stuff is true and the dissolving pipe not a realistic scenario? Suppose I'd best get ready for some disruption (but not at £4,000) or hang in with the old boiler..

Ta (forward ta to namsag too)

Sponsored Links
By sounds of it you have an open flue boiler which as he rightly says you cannot really get now.

Modern fan flue boilers have various flue lengths but it would probably be cheaper to move boiler as gas supply will be cheaper than flue components.
They now say condensate can go into cast iron but if your really worried about it a neutraliser can be fitted before it goes into cast iron cost £25 quid and need replacing every year.

Gas board are always dearer so shop around and you will prob get it for half the price they have quoted
Gas board will always use scaffolding other may not its all down to interpretation of regs

Agile how much would PIMP charge to empty the condensate thought he wopuld be too busy with his ladies :LOL: :LOL:

They now say condensate can go into cast iron but if your really worried about it a neutraliser can be fitted before it goes into cast iron cost £25 quid and need replacing every year.

Do the makers say that now?

Or is it CORGI ?

Last one I saw in its box led you to believe its a fit and forget !!! I thought "oh yes?"

I think the pimp changed the pump!

Tony

Ones i have seen have all said change yearly so manufacturers instructions But its corgi who said cast now ok

By sounds of it you have an open flue boiler which as he rightly says you cannot really get now.

Modern fan flue boilers have various flue lengths but it would probably be cheaper to move boiler as gas supply will be cheaper than flue components.

Gas board are always dearer so shop around and you will prob get it for half the price they have quoted
Gas board will always use scaffolding other may not its all down to interpretation of regs

that pretty much sums it up. just be aware that BG will only fit boilers of a certain weight into lofts now too. most combis are not suitable for a BG fit into a loft now.

get more quotes and pick one, just be sure you are going to get the same or close equivalent in equipment and fitting.

edit: ignore me, i just realised the boiler isnt going in the loft, ill get me coat :LOL:

The condensate is only very mildly acidic and its considered by most people that its OK to put it into a 4" c.i. soil pipe.

Tony

I consider the condensate to be much more acidic than is claimed, you only have to feel your hands tingling when getting it over them to realise that.

We have photos in our office of a cast iron stack rotted right through after less than 8 months of condensate disposal on our patch.

Nickso what is the thinking behind the weight of boilers in lofts is it purely weight of lift for 2 men , if so thats health and safety gone mental

Condensate can only go in a CI stack if there is waste water entering from above. Ie below the highest entry point for waste or rainwater.

How much would you spend on a new car?

Do your cars last 15-20 years?

David

Nickso what is the thinking behind the weight of boilers in lofts is it purely weight of lift for 2 men , if so thats health and safety gone mental

AFAIK it is the weight that one man could lift into the loft namsag. its not even for the install guy. its for us poor service weeds who couldnt lift a replacement boiler into the loft for the 0.0000000001% of boilers that get changed this way.

i agree its madness, but TBH i dont care as boilers in lofts are the a forking pain in the arse and im all for the banning of such practices.

How much would you spend on a new car?

Do your cars last 15-20 years?

David

£0 - live and work near the centre of a city, a car's about as much use as a skip full of breeze blocks to me - plus I'd take my car with me if I moved house

Are there any figures for how much a new boiler etc adds to the value of your home? I know double glazing is pretty poor for this. Loath to spend thousands on a boiler for someone else if i move out in the next 2/3 years. Also noted on another post around here, if I spent £4,000 I'd need the fuel savings to be over £200 a year just to make it better value than slapping the money in a 5% savings account :) edit: (whoops, if I'm being scientific about this I'd better say 6 and a bit %, cos I'll get taxed on savings)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back