How come this hasn't been picked up for 15 years??

My apologies Wongfeifox if that is the case! Maybe it's me that needs to sleep!

Sponsored Links
Ok, so now I am really confused. The Engineer has stated that he has issued a warning notice and used his discretion to allow the temporary use of the appliance. His test figures show passes for flue operation checks. What is my position now - could he come back and disable the appliances?

Apparently there is no insulation around the feed pipe taking the gas pipe through the brickwork - needs rectifying

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If he ar the job then he should have asked your permission to switch off the offending appliance. I take it he did not ask you? If he did you are within your rights to refuse.

If he ar the job then he should have asked your permission to switch off the offending appliance. I take it he did not ask you? If he did you are within your rights to refuse.

We are landlords of this property and use a letting agent. He told the letting agent that he used his discretion in not turning off the appliance.

Now you are being confusing.

Do you mean that you are the leaseholder and rent out your flat?

So what is the position on Gas Safety Certificates?

If he refuses then try another engineer. Particularly one who has issued a Cert previously.

Tony

Now you are being confusing.

Do you mean that you are the leaseholder and rent out your flat?

So what is the position on Gas Safety Certificates?

If he refuses then try another engineer. Particularly one who has issued a Cert previously.

Tony

Sorry - I am the landlord and rent out the flat via a letting agency, who hold the gas certificates.

They have stopped using the previous gas fitter as he was unreliable.

I have found another engineer and will probably get a second opinion.

I always advise landlords to directly employ an engineer (RGI) for Certs.

My charge is typically £65 for a single Cert but many agents add on about £20 or more for their commission EVEN if they have a full management arrangement.

RGIs working directly for agents are often more strict over borderline cases. Perhaps because some agents give them remedial work without any interest in the prices.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back