Please help - my boiler's been condemned!

Make doubly sure though that the flue and boiler are 100% safe, you mentioned something about the compartment being wrong as well.
Open flued boilers like this can be very dangerous when not tip top. If something goes wrong and the investigators find out it was condemned and patched up but not quite to standard, you would be in very deep brown stuff.
I would reconsider a new boiler, and a much smaller one at that. The quote seems to be very high.
See faq for boiler sizing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice. The Potterton is a balanced and not open flue - I dont know all the implications of that altho I do understand that faulty flues and CO are v dangerous.

I trust the guy who's looking at it now and suspect that my original plumber couldn't face working on a floor level boiler squeezed in the corner of the kitchen - it was really cramped until we dismantled some of the cabinets.

Either way it can now be either fixed or removed. I'll definately replace the boiler if there are any safety concerns but it's good to know that I don't need to replace the whole system.

Thanks again

According to partsarena flue is still available as a spare!
Exactly what model do you have?

Repairing that crock of junk is not worth it.

A high flow combi will do and solve many problems.

Sponsored Links
being serious,you mentioned you were considering renting out would it not be in your best interests and your perspective tenant to upgrade to condensing boiler save you money in the long and run and piece of mind,thats all i,m saying, been some good advice posted to you.
ps shop around for the best quote good luck

Thanks for your advice. The flue problem has been totally fixed by a CORGI guy (drilling out the rivets and rejoining with self-tapping screws). Turns out that the flue cage was far too small and not fixed to wall properly so it's been pulling down on the balanced flue.

I know several of you think my boiler is a crock of **** but it's served me well for 12 yrs, with only one problem (fixed with a new thermocouple I think) in all that time. I will be redecorating the whole house again so plan to replace the whole CH system then. I can't face redecorating again after all my recent hard work, so will keep my fingers crossed and in the meantime, add more thermostats to the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back