New boiler advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like some opinions & recommendations from heating engineers on the subject of a replacement boiler please,we have an ageing open vent baxi wall mounted boiler in the garage that must be 25-30 yrs old but keeps chugging away but I'm sure is hopelessly inefficient,the rest of the heating system has been upgraded in recent yrs with new rads,trv's etc. we have a 3 bed detached house 1950's era, hot water tank in upstairs airing cupboard,water tanks in loft etc.we don't want to go down the combi boiler route but would like to stick with an open vent boiler again keeping things simple & costs bearable. My no1 concern would be reliability & customer support in the event of a breakdown etc, after lurking on this forum for the last 12 months & reading many similar posts I've narrowed down the choice ( in no particular order) intergas,viessmann,valliant,ideal. I fully understand that an engineer that installs a certain brand will have a preference for that brand but also that installation can make all the difference to the longevity of a new boiler aswell. So please if you could give me the benefit of your industry experience on a choice of open vent boiler that would be great,

Sponsored Links
I will probably get shot down by the "professionals" for this but my Johnson and Starley Reno heat only boiler gas been here for over 4 years without any problems.

It copes with my DIY designed heating system ( two hot water tanks and zoned controls ) without grumbling and based on the gas bills does appear to be very efficient. It has the coldest plume I have ever felt even when running at maximum output.

Bernardgreen, have you ever considered why you are in a minority of 1 who recommends J&S?
I might be a minority here but I am not the only one who finds J&S to be a good product. Even my plumber who was sceptical about installing this "unknown" has accepted it is a good boiler.

Sponsored Links
Not many people drink wine from the Chateau d' Yquem vineyard, they are a minority, ( not the smallest minority in the world of wine ) but they do drink one of the best wines.

A much smaller minority drink a wine from a very small German vineyard, about 100 to 200 bottles per harvest, but it is really good wine.

Minorities can have the best opinions. Free of marketing hype and bias.

Had a nice bottle( well one glass and my mate drank the rest due to my meds) between Christmas and new year.
D'Arenberg Dead Arm Shiraz.
About £25-£30 a bottle in Morrisons.
Need to get a few more for when I can enjoy it properly.
I'd get a logic plus boiler with 7yr warranty but I may be biased :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back