New boiler advise sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

currently have a old conventional ideal mexico super cf4140 boiler, which is rated at about 50kw,
looking to replace with a new combi, was advised that size needed is a 24kw?? checked on http://www.idhee.org.uk

4 bed semi detached with solid walls, double glazed and 2 bathrooms, 2 toilets,

any advise what to look for, am aware will need to strip out the tanks in the loft and water heater, and need a bit of re-plumbing, and rough idea of costings, am based in nw london

hamazz

Sponsored Links
To convert to a combi is probably not a good idea but would cost about £2000-£4000

You seem to have had some very bad advice. Probably from a boiler installer whose only interest is his!

Tony

on the spec from ideal it says 50.1kw (170 900 btu/h)

well the boiler is over 10years old, so might be an idea to get it changed, its energy rating is D, so was thinking of putting a new one in, i got a mate that can do most of the re-plumb and stripping and i can get another one in for the gas side of things, should costs should be a bit lower

hamazz

Sponsored Links
it sounds like your orginal boiler was way over sized 50kw in a domestic house wow, a 24kw combi is nearly as crazy an idea as the orginal boiler, with two bathrooms i wouldn't think of installing a combi at all

its very common for old boilers to be over sized.. for some reason people think it is good to have more kws...the average London HOUSE is probably only 30kws tops..

many times I find my self specifying for hot water storage performance rather than house size...and of course with compensation controls you can match the the out put to both the house and the cylinder...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back