New Boiler and old radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Forum,

We need a new boiler (possibly Worcester Bosch) which we were told has an A rated energy efficiency. We were also advised to have new radiators replaced as the old system may not give the same A-rated performance because of its old age.

Can any pls advise us whether we need to have new radiator as well or is there any test to be done to see if the existing radiator is ok for the new boiler

Thanks

Sponsored Links
...We were also advised to have new radiators replaced as the old system may not give the same A-rated performance because of its old age.
Total nonsense.
No tests required, no info needed; a rad is a rad is a rad, it may need cleaning, but provided it does not leak and is mechanically sound, it will work on the new boiler.
If you currently have a so called one-pipe system, the pipes would need adjusting, but the rads are always fine.
A wild guess: did the "expert" mention something about a "junior" or a 27-i by any chance?

Someone is trying to spend your money for you! :eek:

Why do you need a new boiler? What's wrong with the existing boiler?

Do you have old cast iron rads or steel panel rads? How old are they?

Sponsored Links
just give the system a good flush out and fire in some sludge remover, someone has a big bag full of radiators he wants rid of

...We were also advised to have new radiators replaced as the old system may not give the same A-rated performance because of its old age.
Total nonsense.
No tests required, no info needed; a rad is a rad is a rad, it may need cleaning, but provided it does not leak and is mechanically sound, it will work on the new boiler.
If you currently have a so called one-pipe system, the pipes would need adjusting, but the rads are always fine.
A wild guess: did the "expert" mention something about a "junior" or a 27-i by any chance?

We are going to have a new kitchen and the existing boiler Ideal Mexico (looks newist) but bulky so we thought may be a new smaller size and higher efficiency boiler. The Plumber mentioned Worcester on the floor. Further advice is greatly appreciated. thanks

I can see the benefit to the installer, but what are you going to gain from your £thousands :confused:

Total nonsense.

Hi , thanks for your email. Could you please explain what one-pipe system is? The plumber did not mention any specific model but is there anything wrong with "junior/27i" ?

Thanks again

Unless you have the heating on with the windows open, you will probably NEVER recover the cost of a more efficient boiler compared to a newish mexico. 20% per year on the gasbill at the very most, probably closer to 10%.
Spend a couple of hundred quid on draftproofing and insulating hot-water pipes and all pipes under the groundfloor will save you more. The heatloss of an old fashioned system is more significant than the loss in newish non-condensing boiler.

Hi , thanks for your email. Could you please explain what one-pipe system is? The plumber did not mention any specific model but is there anything wrong with "junior/27i" ?

It is the smallest and cheapest version of the brand.
Often favoured by rip-off cowboys trying to insinuate quality by using the Bosch branding.
I have NEVER seen one that was installed correctly.

A one pipe system uses "1" pipe that goes in the first rad, than out and in the next one.
A 2 pipe system uses a flow and return, making it a "2"-pipe system.
To the householder, they look exactly the same.

To pre-empt you next question: you can't

Out of all the hundreds of boiler changes I have done, there has only ever been one where I refused to quote unless it included all new rads a pipe work.

I personally had never seen such old rads and awful pipe work.

Get someone else in to quote and ask for references from previous customers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back