New boiler - Combi or floorstanding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the middle of renovating my house and looking for a new boiler, we have two bathrooms, so would like to run two showers at the same time.

I have been looking at different boilers and by what I've read there are two that could do the job

1) Alpha CD50 Combi Boiler
2) Potterton Powermax 150HE

what do you guys think? is there a preference of one over the other or a different boiler?

cheers, harry

Sponsored Links
Forget the Powermax.

The Alpha is supposed to be good but take a look at the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 937. It's the state of the art of storage combi's at present.

i would not describe the 937 as " state of the art of storage combi"

the cd50 can out preform 937, the cd50 can output water at 65'c at 18l/m,
slap a thermostatic mixing valve to bring that down to 45'c at a flow rate of 20l/m and it would still be going when the 937 would have finished its store long ago

the 937 is a good way of getting around not having a G3(unvented) ticket tho, so it is clever in that respect. i had a good look over the 937 and understand how it works in the most part.

still it is a bit of a **** take with the size :rolleyes:

Any reason for ruling out the powermax - the specs look quite good - 150l store, dhw flowrate at 48litres

Have you seen the cd50 in action with 2 showers, is there a drop in pressure when a second tap/ shower is turned on?

Sponsored Links
Any reason for ruling out the powermax - the specs look quite good

Yes, for starters, I would be very surprised if you had 48 litres per min water supply. The Powermax does not push hot water out, it just heats it. The 48 litres per min 'specification' assumes you have 48 litres per min coming in from your water supplier. The Powermax just has a hot water cylinder attached with valves able to pass 48l/m.

And for my second reason; if you are not one of those members of the public that gets great reassurance from a tradesman's van regularly being parked outside, this may not be the boiler for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back