New Boiler Fitted All Radiators Hot But Strange Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Please can anyone help. Think we're going mad. We've just had an ancient boiler replaced in our new home with a Valiant Ecotec Plus 630. We had problems with some radiators getting hot and other not following installation but resolved that by balancing and bleeding the radiators. Now we have a problem in that it seems to take ages for the house to heat up. The heating comes on a 6am and now at 8.50am the room temp is only 17C. It's a bit chilly brrrr! The radiators are almost too hot to touch though and we have plenty of hot water. The thermostat is set at the moment to 26C. The old boiler had the rooms toasting in aprox 15 minutes. Is this how a condensing boiler works? Should we have to switch it on even earlier? Never having had this kind of boiler before we have no idea and I'd be really grateful for any advice. I'm thinking perhaps we should have just left the old (but working) boiler alone.
Thank you to anyone that replies.

Kate

Sponsored Links
. I'm thinking perhaps we should have just left the old (but working) boiler alone.
Thank you to anyone that replies.

Kate

I think you sure will when the repair bills and servicing costs for the new boiler far outweigh any 'alleged' savings. :(

Well, if the radiators are too hot to touch then you'd struggle to explain that the boiler is not doing its job. And for me in the Northwest, we've just had the coldest morning of the winter so far.

Shhh!! We're not going have any breakdowns lol.

I agree it is much colder this morning but it still had this problem last week when not so chilly. By the evening to whole house is toasting it just seems to take an age to get there. In half an hour the temp has gone up by 1C.

Surely, if the rads are getting hot, but the house is still cold, then the rads must be grossly undersized?

Sponsored Links
Did your radiators get changed aswell?
Was the house warm enough before the boiler swap?
Sounds like the rads are possibly undersized.

The house was lovely and warm before the boiler change. It heated up almost instantly so don't "think" the rad size is the issue. I was thinking perhaps it was the remote thermostat but we have three temp gauges and they are all reading the same.

Clearly something has changed since the boiler swap.

Get the installer back ;)

We tried that but he said he has fitted the boiler correctly and it's working so not his problem anymore. Perhaps we'll get someone else in to have a look. I hate being cold. We're not even in a minus figure outside this morning so will freeze when it gets colder. I was just hoping someone on here may have seen this issue before and said we just need to flick a switch somewhere lol. By the way it's just gone up to 19C :(

How many rads are there and are they hot touch within say 10mins or after a couple of hours?

How big is the property? And as asked, how many rads ?

This boiler has a high hex resistance, and although it comes with a pump inside, it may need an additional pump in series for large properties

I suspect you idealise the past, as well as benefitted from the inefficient boiler heating the room it is in.

central heating has never been a form of instantaneous heat??rads are calculated to raise temp to design temp over at least two hours.

Also if the heating was off for a long time then the fabric of the building will have cooled to ambient temperature..so that had to be heated up too..

run it 24/7 and it will get there...

10 rads on a 30kw boiler! That is massively oversized you will probably find your boiler is short cycling and going into anti-cycle mode which is why it takes so long to respond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back