New boiler installation with existing Mira 415 shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to this site and this is my first post so apologies if this one has already been covered.

As my partner is disabled we have qualified for a Warm Front grant to replace our 20 year old boiler. The surveyor has advised that legislation/policy does not allow them to fit a new boiler to systems with showers that are not thermostatic. His suggestions were buying a new shower or investigating the possibility of installing pressure equalizing valve to eliminate the risk of scalding if someone turns on the cold tap while the shower is running. We will have to fund the cost of any changes to the shower.

Has anyone had this problem, would be really helpful to know the lowest cost solution?

Thanks
Neil[/b]

Sponsored Links
Personally I have never heard of this one as yet.

Could be genuine, or yet another 'warmfront scam'. They do seem to have plenty.

Thanks for the reply, I've read a bit more about this and it seems what the guy meant was a thermostatic mixing valve. My problem is that I could fit one into the hot water feed for one shower under the bath, but the house has a second shower in a downstairs extension and none of the pipes appear accessible as they enter the wall not far from the boiler.

The easiest point of access would be to fit one of these valves in the accessibel stretch of pipe near the boiler but as I understand it I would need to take a spur off the cold feed to mix with the hot feed via the thermostatic valve- the cold feed would then continue to feed the sink and shower as previously.

Obviously this would result in the shower receiving temperature at a safe level through the hot feed which would be lowered further by the cold feed. I am not sure if setting the shower at max temperature would be sufficient to eliminate the unwanted cold water?

Sorry this is a bit rambling but any help would be appreciated as we can't afford the cost of replacing both showers with thermostatic ones and they won't fit the boiler without this being sorted...

Thanks
Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back