New Boiler - problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I very recently had a new boiler fitted by British Gas. It works OK, but I have concerns about the commissioning of the system. What happened is this:

When the fitter was working, I noticed he only drained down the upper floor of the system - the lower floor radiators were not drained. He just drained down enough to enable the wall mounted boiler to be replaced.

After he had departed, I found evidence that the inhibitor had been added, but there was no sign of any cleaner being used prior to this. I am very certain he did not use cleaner to flush the system prior to refilling and adding inhibitor.

They have offered to return and drain the system fully, refill and add new inhibitor. Should I accept this, or should I insist that they fully clean the system first, as the boiler is new and there are new solder joints?

Bear in mind that the system was already fairly clean as I flushed it and cleaned it earler this year. What's the realistic risk from just refilling without an extra clean?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
If you have paid them to do a powerflush then make sure they do one! It is not a quick job to do and that is reflected in the price charged for doing it. AFAIK it is mandatory practice now when installing a new boiler. I would check your invoice to see if they've charged for a powerflush, either way it will probably want doing and then fresh inhibitor adding upon completion.

Also likely the boiler manufacturer will insist on system being clean prior to boiler being fitted, failure to do so could well invalidate the boiler guarantee.

did you see the inhibitor added or just find an empty bottle?

chances are it was poured down the bog :D

as already said cleanser should have been added first

i would mention you are going to get a water sample checked,and try reclaim some of the massive bill back :D

at the least i would be looking for free service plan cover once the guarentee is up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for all your replies.
I found the empty inhibitor bottle discarded inthe loft. However, there was no sign of the empty cleaner bottle, either in the loft or in the rubbish after the job was "completed". I figured that if somebody was lazy enough to just toss the inhibitor bottle anywhere, they would have done the same with the cleaner bottle - if they had used it.

Speaking to another bG engineer about all of this, there was a hint that the cleaner ends up being taken away (either in whole or in part).

When I cleaned the system earlier in the year, I used cleaner, in accordance with the manufacturers instructions, flushed a couple of times and refilled with inhibitor added.

I guess what I'm really asking is what is the risk from just ensuring inhibitor is added and then walking away from this problem - I am already convinced that I will never use BG again and I will be switching my fuel supply away from them too.

Thanks for the help

Update: Engineer just visited. Readily agreed to perform a system clean with fresh cleaner. I saw it go in. Will be flushed and refilled later today/tomorrow. So, I guess I have the reassurance I wanted. Thanks for your replies.

Not cleaning the system brings the risk of dirt getting stuck in places and cause blockages or damage to pump or valves and that sort of things.
If all is working well now, you don't have much to worry about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back