New Boiler Setup - which route to take

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SO, as part of the grand scheme of house stuff. The ancient boiler needs replacing.

It's old, inefficient and doesn't produce enough hot water for 1 bath.

We have only just replaced the upstairs bathroom - as part of this update the plumber had us change the tank in the loft as it was cracked and he was concerned about how long it would last.

Other than the new tanks it's all old.

The hot water tank is positioned next to the boiler, on the ground floor.

There isn't really a suitable place upstairs for the tank - if that makes a difference to your advice.

What I was wondering is which route to take. do we go for another system...system or something else? it's a 4 bed house, 2 bathrooms loads of radiators.

I do have space downstairs to move the tank, and would quite like to have a floor mounted boiler that sits under a kitchen worktop as if I can move things around a bit I can knock some walls out and open space up.

but didn't know if we should look at a big combi boiler.
or a system that does away with the albeit new tanks in the loft.
or something else completely?

Sponsored Links
The first thing to establish is your incoming mains pressure and flow rate. Ideally you'd want an unvented cylinder and heat-only or system boiler in your property, but that's only appropriate if your mains is up to running it. You can't get out more than you put in, after all ;)

As for floor-standing boilers, you're limited to a choice of one in the heat-only sector as far as I'm aware, and I can't really recommend it. Any reason why a wall-hung boiler couldn't go in your loft? Assuming your mains is up to spec, you could potentially put the unvented cylinder up there too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back