New boiler time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father has asked me to look into a new boiler for him. I have a couple of issues with the type of setup to move towards.

The constraints are that he does not want to move to a combination system.

He currently has a Potterton Kingfisher floor standing boiler which is around 20 years old and a hot water cylinder. I believe he currently has an open vented system (as there is a small vessel next to the large tank in the loft).

I note that on looking around not many manufacturers make open vented boilers and it is easier to find a system one. My questions are:

1. Is it easy to convert to a system from open vented?

2. Do you need to change the hot water cylinder to do so?

3. Can a wall mounted boiler be put in place where a floor standing once sat and have a flue that comes up through the roof of a house?

Also my preference for makes (in no particular order).

a) Atag
b) Bosch
c) Vaillant

He will not consider Viessmann because of cost.

Sponsored Links
OP- To me you're approaching this a*se about face (not your fault). You wish to replace the strongest part of the heating system and ask if the rotten parts need to be changed.

Unless replacing the lot, or if boiler is open flue and change is for safety reasons, I'd suggest a new cylinder, pump, s-plan controls, trv's, a system cleanse and upgrade the property's insulation.

OP- To me you're approaching this a*se about face (not your fault). You wish to replace the strongest part of the heating system and ask if the rotten parts need to be changed.

Unless replacing the lot, or if boiler is open flue and change is for safety reasons, I'd suggest a new cylinder, pump, s-plan controls, trv's, a system cleanse and upgrade the property's insulation.

Lol, and that will cost the OP's father hell a lot of money. Changing a boiler is expensive enough let alone all the other bits and bobs.

OP - only change what is needed - if it is working fine dont change. Upon saying that if the current boiler is fine I'd advise not to change it because new boilers nowadays have a lot of gimmicks in them (PCB being the biggest one) and if they go wrong they cost a lot of money to replace.

Your father is enitrely correct for not wanting a combi boiler if the boiler isnt working you dont even have hot water with the cylinder you got the immersion heater to rely on at least.

Usually the flue is taken out of the nearest wall so it wont be from, lets say, ground floor through first floor through the roof, it will be the nearest exit route possible usually.

My preferences are a Vailaint. I have an Vailiant Ecotec 438 a 40kw beast, I have had it for 3 years and had no problems so far. MAke sure you get a boiler that is the appropriate size for your house dont get an underpowered one it will pack up. They are not "efficient" as some people make out.

Sponsored Links
how come noddy?

A boiler should only be as big as it need be and this is governed by the radiator out put, which should be checked against the heat loss of the house....

too big and you are wasting money..

boilers should be correctly sized..

The house is a detached bungalow - it has been insulated. The boiler has packed up a couple of times over the last few years, it seems the gas valve has gone on it on this occasion (not quite sure). Also when the hot water is on (not via immersion) the heating comes on - which it shouldn't

Plus it is very inefficient system and doesn't heat sufficiently.

I know the system needs a good clean and a higher specification boiler that currently exists. Also a couple of radiators need to be looked at if they are the right size for the room. Again this will be up to him to change, I am merely recommending based on what information I can find.

haha i love it when we get these noobs talking crap. Never understood the need for someone to offer expert advise on a profession they don't have :unsure:

Atag for me btw. followed by Glowworm :eek: yep i said it! all other answers as per dan. Atag have good option for flexi flue down t'chimney ;)

The house is a detached bungalow - it has been insulated. The boiler has packed up a couple of times over the last few years, it seems the gas valve has gone on it on this occasion (not quite sure). Also when the hot water is on (not via immersion) the heating comes on - which it shouldn't

Heating coming on with rads is probably just a anti gravity valve not fitted , assuming it`s a gravity circuit to cylinder. If it`s fully pumped then it`s either the 3 way valve faulty or the piping is wrong - rads are probably undersized too - given the age of system , that`s so typical of installs @ the time . As to the boiler gas valve - Someone must have one gathering dust . Ideal solution fix the boiler and change some rads - otherwise you`re into a complete new system , mainly because you can`t trust old pipework on new sealed/pressurised system :cry:

Heating coming on with rads is probably just a anti gravity valve not fitted , assuming it`s a gravity circuit to cylinder. If it`s fully pumped then it`s either the 3 way valve faulty or the piping is wrong - rads are probably undersized too - given the age of system , that`s so typical of installs @ the time . As to the boiler gas valve - Someone must have one gathering dust . Ideal solution fix the boiler and change some rads - otherwise you`re into a complete new system , mainly because you can`t trust old pipework on new sealed/pressurised system :cry:

Rads aren't too bad, I would say the main mistake was the one inserted in the conservatory. I suspect the system could do with a powerflush/clean but that's my theory.

It is a gravity fed cylinder, not sure much more about it, there is a pump to the left of the cylinder in the cupboard.

By old pipework are you referring to every millimetre (or inch) of pipework being replaced? That does pose a problem because they concreted the pipework into the floors of the house.

I have one other question regarding ATAG if anyone can help, about a year ago I was generally browsing for myself and came across a boiler that looks exactly the same as ATAG's but it was branded as something else. Can't find it anymore and I can't recall who the manufacturer was. Does anyone know?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back