New boiler using too much gas

Hi tabby, if you can tell us whether you have a metric or imperial meter, Cubic metres gas, metric. Or cubic ft of gas, imperial then we can tell you how to read the meter with a stop watch or a seconds measuring and let you know how much gas you are using.

Sponsored Links
Nope not comparing cost, no disrespect but I'm not stupid, our usage has gone up significantly. Even BG acknowledged that but won't help to figure why. Also this winter no colder than winter b4 last n usage definitely gone up since then.

Well if you are not stupid why will you not give us the actual annual consumption in kWH ?

Merely saying "our consumption has gone up" is totally unscientific and means nothing to an engineer.

One possibility when you leave it on full for 24/7 is that the old boiler heat output was lower than 18 kW like the new one.

You need to control the times and temperatures that you heat the house.

Tony

Above are actual kWh. We don't have temp valves on individual radiators. Temp over night is 16 degr, when we're around in the house we turn it up to 17-18 degrees but energy smart device situated near to central thermostat reads 21 degr. Our house is 1906 semi. 2 bed and bathroom upstairs and lounge, hall, dining room, kitchen, study and loo downstairs.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for many posts, just read meter questions. Meter was changed Sep 2011ish but it is not a digital meter.

Run the boiler on max and time how long it takes to complete one complete revolution of the black pointer.

With this we can tell you how much gas your boiler is using.

This breaks no forum rules, and will answer our question.

On the front of it does it say Cu Feet or Cu Meters. If it says cubic meters take a reading while the boiler is at full flame working hard to heat rads from cold, read last 4 figures and then after exactly 120 seconds take another reading. Give us those 2 readings and we can tell you the gas input of the boiler. If it is cubic ft then then on the dial like a clock face, if more than 1 dial then the last dial that goes fastest time how long it takes for the dial to rotate exactly once in seconds and we can work that one out. If its a combi then you run the bath tap for 2 minutes at full flow instead of heating, which is more reliable.

Tabbie its costing you £5 a day to run...if its a house of about 2000 square feet then thats high but not that high...

what temperature profile to you give it...is that 21c all day or just 8 or 9 hours a day....

Ok will do these readings. Rads are very hot right now so have turned off, soon as they cool down a bit I'll do the 120 second check and also the one digit time

Better read the boiler manual to see how to get it to fire at full rate.

Look for a service mode, of chimney sweep mode. Don't just rely on it working with cold rads.

Usage in Sep-Dec 2011 (89 days) was 6,383.03. Usage Sep-Dec 2012 (88 days) 9,912.21

just checked that. As you are quoting kWh per quarter I presume you are reading it off your gas bill. Actual meter readings would be nice.

9912kWh in 88 days is 112kWh per day so your meter should be recording nearly 10 cu metres average per day. Is that right for the meter readings? What is the meter showing per day this week, or, since you last took a reading?

In icy weather I can get through 78kWh per day (that was my January average usage) but December was 73 and (unusually cold) November was 55

I realise you have an old house with solid walls (no cavity insulation) but mine is bigger than yours. I'm on the South Coast, where are you?

How deep is the loft insulation?

If you measure your radiators and add all their length together (count doubles as 1.5) how much length of radiators have you got? Are they 600mm tall, or what?

Is the ground floor carpeted, or bare boards?

What are your windows and doors like? Draughty wood?

Do you have any open fireplaces?

edit

p.s.
I just checked my 2011 and 2012 usages
October 49.6 cu metres
November 106 cu.m
December 198 cu.m

October 83.7 cu.m
November 152 cu.m
December 205 cu.m

so, like you, my 2012 usage is significantly more than my 2011.

I account for it by the cold weather. Nothing else has changed.

Did the 120 second readings, went from 71.774 to 71.812. Got bored waiting for the black digit to change. If these readings look ok will give up and put up with bills. Rads definitely warmer with new boiler so I guess that's something.

If the rads are warmer then the boiler is producing more power AND using more gas.

You can reduce consumption by improving insulation, turning off rads in unused rooms, turning down at night and better off at night.

You are totally in control of your heating and hence the bills!

Tony

Thanks for all help. Original question was why has usage gone up since new boiler when we are doing nothing different. Comparison of usage that I gave included the period when it was -15 degrees in 2011 so not convinced its the weather. Still at least I now know boiler not using more gas than it should.

I don't think Worcester Bosch should advertise that their A rated boilers save you money when they quite clearly don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back