new boiler with old solar panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've recently bought a 1912 4 bed house semi, high ceilings etc, the prev owner has cobbled various systems together over the years to heat the place all work but i'd guess very poorly. I'd like to salvage the two solar panels on the roof which are apparently 5 years old and build them into a new combi fed system. I've trawled various sites to see what the general consensus is but can't find many recent posts. Out of the info i've pieced together if i had to go out tomorrow i'd get a Vitodens 200-w boiler which apparently will take the hot feed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

VT

Sponsored Links
The easiest configure is twin coil thermal store or
twin coil cylinder.

Or simply use a cylinder as a buffer tank heated by the solar into the combi.

Alpha flowsmart with gas saver good configuration if expensive. Check their video on you tube. The alpha boiler takes a hot feed.

Most Combi's will now take a feed from a solar heated cylinder, they usually ask for a clever set of thermostatic valves to be fitted (Combisol) is one example by Grant UK which if the solar heated water is hot enough, will send it straight to the taps, without the use of the Combi, if the water is not quite hot enough, it will use the combi to raise the temperature, (saves fuel) if the solar tank is cold the combi will take its supply straight from the cold main leaving the solar tank to be further heated. ;)

Sponsored Links
If you fancy the 200w viessmann which is the dogs danglies BTW. Have a look at the Viessmann 242, it has an unvented integrated hot water cylinder and will also incorporate the solar panels.

You can also add the HO1A controller into the mix which will then give you weather compensation. Solar yield is also displayed on its snazzy screen. Works out at a little over £3K iirc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back