New boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our boiler (Worcester highflow 3.5) needs replacing as the air duct has corroded and replacement is no longer available as I found out in my previous thread.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1251978#1251978

Scottish Gas (sg) recommended the Worcester Greenstar 440 cdi. £4300 cash or £8200 on credit. Dont think we will be going with them.

Could anyone advise on a possible replacement?

It should be floor mounted.

Really looking for something reliable and reasonably priced.

What should the installation cost be around??

Thanks for all comments and sry if these questions have been asked before.

Sponsored Links
call 2 or 3 independent local rgis

they will be a lot less than bg

not a great deal of floor standers out there and they are more expensive than wall mounted

a local rgi will be your best bet

Worcester 550 and glow worm ultrapower 170 sxi are both direct floor mounted replacements with very good hw performance but not cheap. Avoid ****ish gas as they sub the work out anyway and are stupidly expensive with very poor customer service once you've signed on the dotted line.

Sponsored Links
Worcester 550 and glow worm ultrapower 170 sxi are both direct replacements with very good hw performance but not cheap. Avoid ****ish gas as they sub the work out anyway are are stupidly expensive.

no ones going to disagree b/g are a bit expensive but they don't always sub out work customer can always ask for direct labour if they want to.

Worcester 550 and glow worm ultrapower 170 sxi are both direct replacements with very good hw performance but not cheap. Avoid ****ish gas as they sub the work out anyway are are stupidly expensive.

no ones going to disagree b/g are a bit expensive but they don't always sub out work customer can always ask for direct labour if they want to.

there is no guarantee of direct labour even when you request it. Not that direct labour is any good anyway! Basically they are overpriced and have lousy customer service-search the net for millions of unhappy customers.

there is no guarantee of direct labour even when you request it. Not that direct labour is any good anyway! Basically they are overpriced and have lousy customer service-search the net for millions of unhappy customers.

i question your maths, millions of unhappy customers, wouldn't they would be out of business, i agree there are some poor installers, mostly contractors..

There are approx 30 million households in the UK. Millions plural would be as little as 2million. How many have switched from bg to eon, southern electric, Npower, Powergen etc etc-more than 2 million. BG have lost market share to Homerserve amonst others too for repairs and servicing so I'd say my maths are spot on. I assume you work for ****ish gas?!

Thought so.

British Gas has had the most complaints to Watchdog of any company in Britain, including the out and out conmen.

Thank you for the replies.

Have a few locals coming in to provide estimates and weighing up these possible replacements:

Greenstar Highflow 440CDi

Glow worm Ultrapower 100SXI System Store Boiler Natural/LPG Gas

Vokera Linea Max HE High Efficiency Combination Boiler

Changing to a wall mounted boiler would provide a lot more options for boiler but would cause havoc with layout of kitchen.

Just gutted that a small duct can right off a boiler.

Thank you for the replies.

Have a few locals coming in to provide estimates and weighing up these possible replacements:

Greenstar Highflow 440CDi

Glow worm Ultrapower 100SXI System Store Boiler Natural/LPG Gas

Vokera Linea Max HE High Efficiency Combination Boiler

Changing to a wall mounted boiler would provide a lot more options for boiler but would cause havoc with layout of kitchen.

Just gutted that a small duct can right off a boiler.

forget the Vokera option, they're not very good at all.

Hi

It should be floor mounted.

Why are you fixated on the idea that it should be floor mounted?

The modern design of boilers is targeted at wall mounted as all rooms have walls and that enables the most convenient fixing with the best access for servicing.

Very few manufacturers even produce floor mounted boilers not so if you are so blinkered you will be seriously reducing your options.

As always I would say take the advice of your chosen registered installer.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back