New boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im still putting up with horrendously low water pressure to my shower. Its a gravity fed thermostatic shower. Im supposed to be getting a pump fitted soon but have been thinking. I will be fitting a new kitchen next year, and will be moving my boiler up into the loft. I know its a bit of a price difference but would I be better getting a new combi boiler fitted instead of a pump? It would suit me in a few ways as could be doing with the hot water cylinder and loft tank going, and not having to listen to a pump every day. But would I see a great improvement in my shower pressure is my main thing?

Sponsored Links
Best to get a good installer to advise. You'll need a decent cold main supply with a combination boiler, he or she can check that for you and dependent on the findings recommend a suitable power combination boiler if that's the way you go.

They are not always a complete answer, they can realistically supply only one tap at once which may be a problem if you have a large occupancy. Stored hot water is a godsend if a heat only boiler fails as an immersion heater in a cylinder provides a backup, with a combination boiler you're washing in cold water unless you have an electric shower. The list goes on, find a good installer and start from there.

One last thing, what is the hot tap you use the most? Keep the source of hot water close to it. If it is the sink tap and your combi is in the loft you'll be running off a lot of cold, use a bit of hot then close the tap off. This is followed by the hot water in the pipe between the tap and the combi growing cold = waste. Heat only boiler in the loft, hot water cylinder in the house OK, hot water cylinder in the loft, too far for my preference unless a bungalow.

Best to get your water co to test pressure upto street stopcock then take it from there with your installer BEFORE you do anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back