New brick Shed/Workshop on chalky ground - help?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm replacing two old wood sheds with one brick workshop, approx 6m x 3.5m and 2.5m high.

I'm working on the basis that it's less than 30sqm and made of non-combustible materials (only roof would have wooden beams), so shouldn't bother anyone with planning and build regs issues. Hopefully not anyway as my neighbours would object to just about anything.

I'm also wanting to use the front of the shed partly as a retaining wall for approx 20cm of soil built up to level an area for a patio. I'd run the flagstones of the patio up against the brickwork of the shed. See attached diagram:

I'm a bit confused - I want to keep the cost down but avoid excessive ongoing maintenance so I thought I'd do strip foundations to 45cm deep x 45 wide, fill concrete to approx 20cm of surface then lay two courses of blockwork on the front (to form the retaining wall for the patio as well as the start of the shed front wall, and one course of blockwork on the other sides (to approx ground level. Having made the outline for the base, I'd then dig out the topsoil, compact & lay 150mm hardcore and 50mm sand + membrane, then pour concrete on top level with the first course of block work.

I'd also thought about instead laying a second inner blockwork channel and use block and beam construction to get the floor off the ground if easier?

Does this sound about right? I'm a bit confused as to whether you can lay bricks on top of block work, whether blockwork below ground was ok and where the DPC goes.

I don't think I can get a poured mix lorry in as the shed is at the bottom of a 100ft garden... Any guidance most gratefully received as this is the start of a scheme culminating in a Pirate ship for a toddler!

Sponsored Links
Hi all.

I'm replacing two old wood sheds with one brick workshop, approx 6m x 3.5m and 2.5m high.

I'm working on the basis that it's less than 30sqm and made of non-combustible materials (only roof would have wooden beams), so shouldn't bother anyone with planning and build regs issues. Hopefully not anyway as my neighbours would object to just about anything.

I'm also wanting to use the front of the shed partly as a retaining wall for approx 20cm of soil built up to level an area for a patio. I'd run the flagstones of the patio up against the brickwork of the shed. See attached diagram:

I'm a bit confused - I want to keep the cost down but avoid excessive ongoing maintenance so I thought I'd do strip foundations to 45cm deep x 45 wide, fill concrete to approx 20cm of surface then lay two courses of blockwork on the front (to form the retaining wall for the patio as well as the start of the shed front wall, and one course of blockwork on the other sides (to approx ground level. Having made the outline for the base, I'd then dig out the topsoil, compact & lay 150mm hardcore and 50mm sand + membrane, then pour concrete on top level with the first course of block work.

I'd also thought about instead laying a second inner blockwork channel and use block and beam construction to get the floor off the ground if easier?

Does this sound about right? I'm a bit confused as to whether you can lay bricks on top of block work, whether blockwork below ground was ok and where the DPC goes.

I don't think I can get a poured mix lorry in as the shed is at the bottom of a 100ft garden... Any guidance most gratefully received as this is the start of a scheme culminating in a Pirate ship for a toddler!

Block n beam costs more than concrete slab

Bricks can go on top of blockwork

Blockwork below ground is ok unless your soils have high sulphate content which will attack the concrete (too)

DPC goes 6 to 8 inches above finished ground level

Hire a roller bunyan/striker to get your concrete flat (and have a play with it/watch some youtube tutorials first)

Hire a 1 ton dumper and get the concret lorry to pour into it. Spend some time playing with it first before the lorry arrives so you don't drive it like and old woman and take forever to offload. Either that or make sure the concrete co dont charge waiting time

How about a concrete pump? obviously expensive compared to a wheel barrow, but a lot easier to transport concrete over a distance...

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

Does the depth of foundation sound about right for that height wall?

And if there's a potential issue with sulphate content (how would I know?) on blockwork, would it be best just to bring the concrete in the foundations higher and use an F2 graded facing brick from the foundation upwards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back