New Build - 2010 regulations on heating compliance: Timers on thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a new build that followed the 2010 regulations. In the domestic heating compliance guide 2010 it states that a timer and thermostat is needed for all electric heating panels. However, I believe this is just a "guide" so was trying to find out the official requirements. The house as it stands has 4 panel heaters, each with a thermostat, but with no way to turn on/off other than changing the thermostat temperature.....

Sponsored Links
They're not storage heaters, then?

Please show how the flex goes into the wall.

What does that switch in your first photo do then? Sometimes it's better to provide some context as well as specific questions.

Sponsored Links
Sorry about that. Basically the house has 4 panel heaters (two per floor, one at front, one at back). Each is connected to it's own thermostat. They are all independent. The wall switch is simply on/off for electrical supply to the unit. Each unit also has a little red switch (pictured) that turns on and off. This means I can set temperature or turn it on and off manually. However, there is no way to get them to turn on/off at specific times (so that at night you basically have to leave all the heating on, at a low temperature). Similarly through the day it is left on constantly at a set temperature rather than (what I would take as normal use) turning on before you get back from work.
The Domestic building compliance guide (pdf link) states that electrical panel heaters should have a programmable thermostat or separate time/thermostat. However, I've been led to believe that this is just a "guide" and actually regulations don't require this. I'm trying to get clarification on this point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back