New build house double garage - loft 2b safely floored....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

A 2005 built double garage to house man junk 1 side and classic inherted MGB other side. No storage in main house loft - all insulation so want to board out loft area of garage. Not moved in yet so cant take phots or measurenments. Dont want loft to fall onto MGB which used to belong to wifes dad - I would get strung up by short and curlies and otherwise tortured....

I am assuming current roof timber - W support shaped- is just for the roof and wont support more than light stuff so no weight to be added to it.

Do I run Taller beams front to rear of garage inbetween current roof supports resting on the walls or use joist hangers on the walls to support same? then board over the top add loft access ladder to keep all safe and not stress roof? i.e floor boards rest on new beams entirely - 600mm between centres or 400mm? Would i need wider and taller beams? Assuming current standard sizes of roof supports - no idea what size that is - what sized timbers am i looking at 6x2 or 6x3? by length of garage? Would steel beams be better or 2 expensive?
The garage is naked inside at moment - just the roof supports with a light in the middle so clear view to felt.
will want to keep MGB reasonably dry and warm so any insulation tips while doing this would also be appreciated.

Sorry if this has been asked before i couldnt find anything similar going back 4 pages, your advice and tips will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
update

just for info in case someone else wants a solution and thinks this is suitable....

I have gone for 2 perpendicular 8x2 ( i think, will have to look at paperwork to confirm ) running across the garage supporting the original trusses dividing the garage into thirds depth. Then supported the middle of the new spans with 4x4 bolted to floor and spans vertically- halving the spans. Then run 4x3 trusses to support the floor on between the original trusses onto the spans and walls. Then large 18mm floor sheets on top (floor rests on new trusses not original roof trusses), loft ladder, painted floor, now just electrics to finnish once a sparky has given me a new supply and consumer board. Not cheap but hopefully effective and safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back