New-Build Integral Garage Door

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post in a while but here goes!

I have recently moved into a new-build home and we have an issue with the integral garage door. Do to the position of the doorway into the garage being neat to the front of the property (it's just before the stairs in the hallway) if the main garage door is open you can't use the internal door to/from the hallway as the top of the door hits the side of the open main garage door.

Ours is one of two types of this house that will have the same problem. I was originally planning to put up with it or add it to my list of things to sort out as and when - however when the decorator was in sorting some snagging, he hit the door on the garage door and commented that "still haven't sorted this out then?" Apparently when they first installed the garage door, it was one with a fixed rail and the internal door wouldn't open at all as it fouled the rail. They then replaced it with a rail-less garage door so that the internal can be used but only if the main garage door is shut. That to me suggests they've dropped one. When I asked the developer they said that it was part of the original design that they did not envisage that the internal door would be used with the main garage door open - which to me is total guff.

I've looked into Building Regs but can only find things relating to the specification of the door itself and the lock which I believe are both correct. To me this is a more "common sense" issue as if you put a door in a wall you expect to be able to use it unconditionally (or so I thought!).

I've asked for a design and access statement or designer's risk assessment relating to this, but I won't hold my breath!!

I was wondering if you guys could either provide a regulation for me to reference, or suggest a type of garage door they can replace it with??

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There are no regulations about this, neither will design and access sttements deal with this sort of issue.

Its not uncommon for one door being open preventing another from opening - lobbies, utilities, WC's on conversion or extensions. The only time it becomes relevent in openings onto landings.

A roller shutter may help

Some drawings and photos would be useful. I imagine this kind of thing is not uncommon; I've recently encountered this problem on a small house I've designed (unbuilt) on a very tight site with lots of planning constraints. But I think I've found an arrangement that works, so you might find something too,

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back