Can I sell integral garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I sell an integral garage (and drive) and retain ownership of the adjoining bungalow?
  • There is no internal door joining house to garage
  • Joining compartmentalise wall (including loft) meets building regs with 30mi s fire resistance
  • There are no shared utilities (garage has none)
  • Garage has own access to road (not shared)
Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Potential sale is to neighbouring property. We have spoken of changing the land registry so as garage and drive are on their plot.

Will the garage then be covered by their council tax or will they need to be assessed? Maybe the garage is it's own taxa entity?

Potential sale is to neighbouring property. We have spoken of changing the land registry so as garage and drive are on their plot.

Will the garage then be covered by their council tax or will they need to be assessed? Maybe the garage is it's own taxable entity?

Sponsored Links
You did say 'integral', didn't you?:confused:

WTF! How does that work? You'll be telling us next you may throw in the airing cupboard to sweeten the deal.:D

Not sure if integral is the right word or not. Property is a bungalow. Garage is the last "room" on one end. It is up to the boundary.

Proposal is that neighbour buys garage and the part of the plot that the garage sits on.

Nothing to confuse yourself with there.

It would be possible to spilt the property, but it would be complex in terms of writing the deeds of ownership and terms of responsibilities. There would then be the additional fire precaution work and insurance issues, let alone the odd arrangement when it comes to sell.

You would be better off to use a lease or licence as the mechanism to grant use but retain ownership.

Do you have any cables or pipes running under the drive?

Will you still have any off-street parking for the bungalow? Resale value might be seriously affected by losing the garage and drive.

Much better to rent it to the neighbour for a small amount.

If you have a mortgage on the property, your lender will be interested.

An interesting thread despite Nose;) Because my bungalow and my neighbours are Link Detatched by 2 flat roofed garages - next door's garden is big enough to put in another bungalow of modest size. But the garden needs access for that to happen. Something for the future perhaps, because the drainage would need to cross my back garden to connect to existing:sneaky: and I could live without a full sized garage on the side of my house- if the £ was right. Lots of room at the front of our properties to construct a large paved driveway too, plus it would look better than the concrete running strips for our cars that exist now.

An interesting thread despite Nose;) Because my bungalow and my neighbours are Link Detatched by 2 flat roofed garages - next door's garden is big enough to put in another bungalow of modest size. But the garden needs access for that to happen. Something for the future perhaps,

In that case, if you do sell, get a solicitor to put in a development clause binding on the current and subsequent owners so that you can claim a share of the corresponding increase in land value if it becomes a building plot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back