New build internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please be gentle with me, I know this sort of question has been asked many times, but there are a few different specifics regarding my question!

We're self-building a new property and have got to the stage of installing internal doors. We're going to be installing XL Joinery veneered oak doors, which we'll purchase ourselves, along with all the associated ironmongery. We have 15 single doors, 11 of which (due to a "protected" staircase) need to be fire doors. The 8 fire doors downstairs will need to have an intumescent seal fitted (which we'll buy) in the casing. Also to install is a (non-fire) double door and 4-door slider (2 fixed and 2 sliding doors).

We've had a couple of quotes from local joiners/carpenters to a) supply the timber (redwood) and construct the required door casings (single rebated piece of wood rather than a lining) for all the doors, b) install the casings, c) hang the doors and fit all the ironmongery, and d) fit the sliding doors. Broadly, we'll buy all the materials except the casings, and the joiner will fit everything.

One quote was really silly money, and I assume he didn't really want the job, and the other quote (we're happy that he'll do a good job) came back at just over £4,500. This still sounds a lot to me, but would value opinions as to whether this is in the expected ballpark for what we need? The job is in the North East.

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that you are supposed to install a fire rated door sets these days, and unless the joinery firms you are speaking to have the appropriate CERTFIRE (or equivalent) certification I don't see how they can do this.

In the same vein will the installer be appropriately qualified, or have his work inspected and signed off by a FIRAS (or equivalent) qualified fire door inspector? In the aftermath of the Grenfell report this is being requested more and more and is now certainly a standard requirement on multiple occupancy building (e.g. a block of apartments such as where I am currently working)

You might want to ask your potential suppliers where they stand on this as well as asking how they intend to deal with out of level or crowned/cupped floors on the door opening. Has either supplier done a site inspection and checked this? Have either mentioned the potential need for drop seals?

Thanks for the info and I'll certainly follow up. My understanding regarding inspection and sign off would only be needed in a commercial installation rather than a residential build? I'm not worried about floors being out of level, they've been very expertly installed!

Not just commercial - applies to apartments (houses of multiple occupancy) as well. But I have to ask the question, "If a fire door is incorrectly installed, is it still a fire door" (especially as it isn't rocket science to install them correctly)

Sponsored Links
It's a detached property we're building, and I am happy that the fire doors will be correctly installed. My question was concerned with whether we've been quoted a fair amount for the work and materials involved? We're in a pretty rural location, and good joiners are few and far between here!

As always, you need to get several quotes, and that will tell you what the right cost is. One quote is not indicative, however you say you are happy with it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back