Hanging internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Possible stupid question alert!

I need 2 new internal doors, urgently. I'll be buying the doors and paying a local joiner to fit and hang them but I don't really have the time to get the door prepared and glossed before hanging....is it imperative that I do this? Or can I just get the doors fitted and paint them once hung in the New Year? It's a money and time constraint thing because I have managed to break the glass in both of these doors and we now have drafts so I'd like to have new doors on for Xmas.

Any advice?

And yes I am totally and completely helpless at DIY/decorating :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
if they are cheap hollow doors[plain or mock panel] then it wont matter to much
but iff they are cheap "timber" doors especialy knotty pine then you take a risk
but whatever happens you will need to remove them to paint them properly any way

Sponsored Links
Your broken glass panes will be held in by thin strips of wood called glazing beads...these can be simply prised up using a chisel and put to one side. The glass will have a little bit of putty in there to stop it rattling and maybe a couple of tiny nails called sprigs, so be very careful when you prise the old glass out.
Your friendly glazier will be happy to cut you new glass - just measure the hole left and subtract 6mm from each measurement, and take him a sample if the style and thickness of the glass is important to you.
Much easier and cheaper than having new doors! Unless you want some, of course..... ;)
John :)

Your broken glass panes will be held in by thin strips of wood called glazing beads...these can be simply prised up using a chisel and put to one side. The glass will have a little bit of putty in there to stop it rattling and maybe a couple of tiny nails called sprigs, so be very careful when you prise the old glass out.
Your friendly glazier will be happy to cut you new glass - just measure the hole left and subtract 6mm from each measurement, and take him a sample if the style and thickness of the glass is important to you.
Much easier and cheaper than having new doors! Unless you want some, of course..... ;)

That sounds much easier (and cheaper), will it be easy to put the glass in? And thank you - I think you have answered most if not all of my stupid questions on here so far :LOL:

Your questions arent stupid at all.....!
Dead easy to replace internal glass. Wedge the door to stop it moving.
As said, use a broad chisel to remove the old glass beads, knock out the remaining glass (wear gloves and goggles) and pull out any old sprigs or glass bead nails that might be there with pliers.
Use the same chisel to remove the old back putty, back down to the original timber if you can. Slice it or scrape it, just get rid of it.
Get the new glass cut to size...measure the height in millimetres and deduct about 5mm, do the same for the width measurement. (If the panes are small, the 5mm can be reduced a bit - its just a bit of clearance). Keep the glass thickness the same.
Get some putty either in a plastic pot or a tube from Wickes or similar - but the glazier could sort this for you. Apply a layer of putty where the old stuff was, and push the new glass in. Move it up and down slightly just to squeeze the putty out a bit.
Then, knock the nails back on the glazing beads. If they dont want to go, pull them through with some pliers. Put the beads back in the same place - short ones first if its a big rectangular pane - and gently tap nails back in.
Trim off any excess putty from the other side, and polish the glass with some kitchen roll. Job done! Take your time, remember glass and chisels are sharp.
Hope this helps!

Please note:
You should never put finish on doors before they are fitted. As a joiner will undoubtfuly be planing or trimming the door. Which will undo all your nice work...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back