door hanging problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have all new internal doors to hang

the problem is 3 of my door frames are out of square

the are higher at one side than the other thus leading to a slant in the top of the door fram which is about 1/4" difference

trouble is if i just trim the dooe to make it fit it will look stupid and wonky

any tips on how wo make the door fir without it looking stupid any special place to trim etc top bottom

any help is apprciated and i need it asap

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Reeves2k2,

I believe that this is a common problem. I have seen quite a few frames out of square. Is it an old house? Our house was built in the 1920s and I can only think that spirit levels didn't exist in those days? It seems like it :D or either that the builders were very lazy :(.

The main way of working around this problem that I can think of are:

Keep the door straight even though the door frame will make the top of the door appear as if it's slanting. It's not your fault that the frames are out of square. You can only work with what you have unless you are prepared to go realigning the tops of the frames which I don't think would prove too difficult all depending on the decor the rooms have.

Are they composite door frames? If so, I would imagine that this is fairly straight forward. I've never done this before, but you would have to remove the top pieces and unfortunately, this could possibly result in replastering this area. See here:

doorframe.jpg

I don't remember all of the correct terms and everything so please excuse my ignorance on this part :D.

My advice is just my two pennies so it would be best to wait for more responses to see what everyone else thinks ;).

Cheers and good luck.

P.S. I think I've read somewhere in my book about cutting the door a certain way and then attaching this to the bottom of the door, but I can't see that this would look right :confused:. Your main problem is those frames so I would sort them out first. I know it's a lot of work, but whoever fitted them haven't done a good job :(.

this is quite a small amount [in fact its a very small amount ]
just cut it neatly[hang it] with a 2mm gap all the way round and no one will notice ;)

1/4" is nothing, I did a door where the top edge was at least 1 1/4"out of square last year.
Don't be soft, get it cut, get it swinging and go for a beer. ;)

Sponsored Links
hi sorry just remeasured and its half inch out of square

i have got solid pine doors and a old house as well

i tried one door and messed it up and for some strange reason it fit the bathroom perfectly

am i better cutting off the bottom so it will be less noticable or not

Don't be soft, get it cut, get it swinging and go for a beer.

Well lets just say, it would not look anywhere near as bad as how our doors look. The guy couldn't hang himself (and he is a big bloke lol), nevermind hang an internal door :rolleyes:.

:confused:

If the frame is out at the top why do you think cutting the bottom of the door will help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back