Hanging an internal door...given up...need to call in expert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've recently set about fixing new door handles on all my internal wooden doors (chrome knob types) plus have managed to hang a new door in the bathroom; I transfered the measurements from the previous door to the new one and cut as necessary (though with a blinkin jig saw...not the best tool for that job!).
I had one other door to hang - a kitchen 'cubby hole' (is that what they're called?!?!?) - basic 4 panel pine door. This became a bit of a nightmare...I just couldn't get to grips with it. There used to be an old latch door on there previously then when the new kitchen was added this was taken out and a new door frame added. There's a slight gap from where the door frame was added and where the old internal frame lies - this is where I came a little unstuck I think...the brackets didn't seem to grip correctly between the two...pretty hard to explain...essentially I've already ruined one pine door and won't be attempting to hang the other!!!
Hence I'll need to phone a local carpenter - question being, am I likely to find someone willing to trim and hang just one door (I know from experience I can't get a plasterer to skim just one wall/ceiling) and what would I be roughly expected to pay?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Look in your local rag for handyman ads that state 'no job too small'

Look in your local rag for handyman ads that state 'no job too small'

Yeah - i'll get on the blower tomorrow...just trying to gauge a price and whether I could expect a carpenter to turn up to fit one door (nigh on impossible to get a sparky or plasterer to knock round for the smaller jobs from past experience).
Cheers.

i would do the job down here for half a days labour ie £80. All the no jobs too small would do it for £40. but it wouldn't close properly, or at all. :eek:

Sponsored Links
All the no jobs too small would do it for £40. but it wouldn't close properly, or at all

I've recently been out to a customer who had a load of new doors fitted to the original casings so that it looked authentic... just a shame that the casings weren't square and plumb, which made the fit absolutely appalling. She had lost faith (and contact) in her previous builder which was why she rung me to sort it out.

Possibly the worst thing was that the bathroom door also grounded on the floor tiles when halfway open!

Cheers folks - I'll shop around/ask around - haven't had the opportunity since 'sillymas' to arrange this. I'm also thinking that they a carpenter could replace the door frame and skirting within the kitchen also. Wasn't an entirely successful job by the original kitchen 'eastwoods' and I used a pretty poor wax to finish: the wax is coming off and I don't suppose I can varnish this now :(

So what you are saying is that the new frame is added on top of the exsisting old frame, why would anyone do such a thing. I am a cabinet maker and usually leave door hanging to people with lots of patience.

since you are in manchester i would be willing to look at the door situation for you, although i charge a standard rate of £30 for a door hanging it may cost more as it sounds as though it isn`t a straight forward door hanging and costs for not being local.

you should use a hand held plane and if the frame is uneven the door should be scribed to the frame to give a neat finish.

I am a self employed joiner with my own business, i would charge between £35 £50, shame im a bit far away!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back