Internal Doors - Hanging!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I have 5 internal doors to hang not a problem apart from 1!

4 doors are all around 1980mm by 760mm, the last, however, is 1990mm by 680mm.

Can anyone advise either where i can buy such a sized door or how go about trimming a door down to size (especially when it's panelled!)

Many thanks in advance

David

Sponsored Links
you should be able to get a 2' 3'' door which is 686mm and plane/cut a fraction off both sides. As for your height you are more in no man's land and may be better off raising your threshold or fiiting a strip on the bottom as cutting 40 mm off a bigger size would not be a great idea.

680mm x 1990mm is a 2'3" x 6'6" door and i know magnet do 2'3" doors and you probably wouldn't need to plane anything off either, just tickle them up to fit

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly!

Sorry to ask, what do you mean by raising your threshold...sorry

Sponsored Links
680mm x 1990mm is a 2'3" x 6'6" door and i know magnet do 2'3" doors and you probably wouldn't need to plane anything off either, just tickle them up to fit

Sorry to mention but isn't a 2'3" x 6'6": 686mm x 1981mm?

Sorry to mention but isn't a 2'3" x 6'6": 686mm x 1981mm?

Yes it is, roughly.

Doors are still sold in feet 'n' inches. This is still recognised throughout the trade amongst tradesmen.

Typical sizes are 6' 6" high and 2' 3", 2' 6" and 2' 9" wide. The most common being 2' 6" wide though the other two are considered standard size. 2' 9" wide doors are becoming more popular in modern built houses to overcome wheelchair access issues.

This archaic system is compounded by the fact that you can buy 'metric' doors. Housing associations and the like made them popular and are also a specific size.

I personally do not recognise the metric equivalent at all.

many thanks all! I'll probs got with the latter! There is carpet to clear at the bottom after all!

Thanks again (love this website!)

by threshold i mean the wooden (usually) strip under the door which seperates rooms. To avoid having a large gap uner a door that is too small for the opening you can sometimes install a slightly deeper threshold. Within reason of course so no one trips on it.

by threshold i mean the wooden (usually) strip under the door which seperates rooms. To avoid having a large gap uner a door that is too small for the opening you can sometimes install a slightly deeper threshold. Within reason of course so no one trips on it.

Ah yes i'll check that out this evening, many thanks reall apprieciate your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back