New build roof & dormer window rainfall query

Sponsored Links
Yes you could run gutter across the front edge , the existing will still need to be extended around the corner.
Stopping the water running over the edge making it run sideways should be fine .
If we did this, would the gutter need to be fixed to the lead too?

Ideally looking for a solution that would divert the rainfall from the roof above away from the dormer roof before it gets to it. Any other ideas? Just trying to brainstorm possibilities.

But also if this isn’t possible, then diverting it off the roof to the sides would be ideal.

This is how rain water would be dealt with typically. 20211204_105950.jpg

This is how rain water would be dealt with typically. View attachment 253068
Thanks for this. This type seems much better design.

I think the type of dormer window on our roof might be called a box dormer? Are they designed to somehow divert water either side rather than over the top? Just wondering if ours has a fault?

Sponsored Links
The lead roof will extend up the roof slope under the tiles. There will not be anyway of fixing the gutter without going through the upstand
I’ve just had another look, it’s really hard to take a photo of it, but it seems that there isn’t lead going up behind the roof tiles at the back of the dormer roof. Like there isn’t a visible upstand….on the attached photo it seems like maybe timber can be seen….

Attachments

• 25A23439-9B18-487E-9454-1F495FAA3FF2.png
    25A23439-9B18-487E-9454-1F495FAA3FF2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
That's possibly a baton which shouldn't be there! Whoever constructed that was naive if they thought it would work.

As above , there is lead as I described. There appears to be a batten sat on top of the lead rather than a fillet under it..

Thank you both. I’ve never had a dormer roof before and not seen this design elsewhere too.

Any ideas what would be the solution to fix it?

Would they be able to attach some guttering to the batten at all?

Employ a roofer good at leadwork to form a gutter at the front of the lead flat roof that drains into one or both gutters at the eaves. I expect any developer forced solution will be a bodge. It's not right but if there's not much else wrong with your new build its not so bad.

Employ a roofer good at leadwork to form a gutter at the front of the lead flat roof that drains into one or both gutters at the eaves. I expect any developer forced solution will be a bodge. It's not right but if there's not much else wrong with your new build its not so bad.

Thanks, that sounds good. The house is great overall so far apart from that. The only thing is anything that gets done by someone apart from them could affect the NHBC. Although not the end of the world.

I think anything the developer does could be end up being a bodge like you say.

Out of interest, wonder if there’s any resources online for lead work or any examples of this type of lead guttering?

I don't think you will find much to help in the leadwork guide it truly is a horrible detail as designed.
Making it look right is biggest challenge I think guttering of any description would look awful.
Either a leadburnt upstand round outside edges would work probably set back slightly to make it look like it's ment to be.
Or maybe a 60mm upstand say 100 mm in from edge of tiles to create in effect a gutter.
Either would want to be double thickness for strength maybe even introduce a stainless steel angle in it so it cannot get trampled down.
From a welding point of view easy job.

I don't think you will find much to help in the leadwork guide it truly is a horrible detail as designed.
Making it look right is biggest challenge I think guttering of any description would look awful.
Either a leadburnt upstand round outside edges would work probably set back slightly to make it look like it's ment to be.
Or maybe a 60mm upstand say 100 mm in from edge of tiles to create in effect a gutter.
Either would want to be double thickness for strength maybe even introduce a stainless steel angle in it so it cannot get trampled down.
From a welding point of view easy job.

Thanks for the information. Would the two options you’ve suggested help rain flow to the sides and into guttering if extra guttering was attached around the cheeks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back