New build: Various corners coming apart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Been in our new build 5 years and various walls are doing this on corners. (image attached) Mainly on high traffic areas.

There is a metal strip running down each edge and it's come away from the wall.

Is it a bodge job by our building firm or normal behaviour? More importantly how do I fix it?

Appreciate any support.

Attachments

• PXL_20210313_201142987.jpg
    PXL_20210313_201142987.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 272
  • PXL_20210313_201148728.jpg
    PXL_20210313_201148728.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 284
Sponsored Links
Can't quite tell from the pictures. Is that on a door frame? New builds often crack and move but they normally give a warranty for two years which unfortunately will be passed for you.
Is it in all of the external corners (this is where the metal strips are used)
Also, is it in most of the rooms?

Thanks for your reply.

They are close to a door frame but on a corner wall. So no wooden frame, it's the corner of a plasterboard wall. Doesn't happen on all corners but generally where there has been wear against them. (People brushing past, little hands grabbing etc)

Way past any warranty but just not sure how to fix them properly. Currently have it in hall, living room and bathroom.

Any suggestions on way to repair them?

Thanks again for any help

It LOOKS like that paper faced metal edge tape stuff they use on plasterboard which is 'jointed', rather than skimmed.

If so, you'll start to notice this problem on most external corners, and also where the wall meets the ceiling.

Absolute rubbish, you only have to look at the stuff - and it bulges out and won't go back.

You can try cutting sections of it out, and filling - but it will only bulge somewhere else at a later date.

Utter crap.

If I'm right, your walls are plasterboard, and rather than skim them with plaster, they simply tape and joint fill only the joins and gaps. A nasty cheap alternative to proper skim plastering.

You could try pulling it all off, and fitting more - but will a DIYer want all that hassle, mainly as a lot of filling will be required.

You could bodge it and stick some plastic corner bead over it, but that will come off in time too.

Personally I would get a plasterer in as this kind of thing would drive me round the absolute bend.

There are some YouTube videos on paper faced metal edge tape.

Sponsored Links
You could try some ready mixed filler but in reality that would be bodging it and unlikely to hide where the wall has popped out. It probably needs re skimming but with some proper metal corner edges. They're in an L shape that goes on each corner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back