New Build Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

One of the rooms we have cold issues with the windows are like the attached pics..

I doubt this would be the reason but can someone confirm it's okay, the gapping and split in the cill?

Thank you !

Attachments

• 20190626_075715.jpg
    20190626_075715.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 20190626_075719.jpg
    20190626_075719.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 150
Sponsored Links
mjtefc9, good evening.

I assume you are referring to the Mastic joint between the window and the concrete sill?

First thing is NO it is NOT OK! that Mastic should be solid, no gaps, and tooled smooth, it appears that several lines or beads of mastic have been placed in the gap, the operative then has gone off for a cup of tea and forgotten to tool the mastic smooth when he returned ??

As for a "cold room" ? have you tried to locate any draughts? Try using a very thin tissue around the window, any draught will show by movement of the tissue, or a candle?

The gaps in the mastic is a "snagging Issue" and should be addressed by the builder.

As an aside? have you inspected the other windows? [a mirror assists?]

Ken

mjtefc9, good evening.

I assume you are referring to the Mastic joint between the window and the concrete sill?

First thing is NO it is NOT OK! that Mastic should be solid, no gaps, and tooled smooth, it appears that several lines or beads of mastic have been placed in the gap, the operative then has gone off for a cup of tea and forgotten to tool the mastic smooth when he returned ??

As for a "cold room" ? have you tried to locate any draughts? Try using a very thin tissue around the window, any draught will show by movement of the tissue, or a candle?

The gaps in the mastic is a "snagging Issue" and should be addressed by the builder.

As an aside? have you inspected the other windows? [a mirror assists?]

Ken

Hi Ken,

Okay I will get them to rectify the mastic, could the gaps cause draft ? Also the sill has a crack in it, they have been to repair it once but it is becoming visible again would this have any long term issues?

I have looked at all the windows and tried the draft test, I was sure I felt something near the skirting and so was the inspector. But when they came with a thermal image camera they couldn't see any issues.

What is a mirror assist ?

Mark

Draughts at the skirting wont be from that small section of window mastic (which leads to the wall cavity not the inner room), but will be from the floor void - either normal thermal currents or gaps in the wall where the floor joists penetrate, or from behind the dry lining.

All new building houses should be subject to an air leakage test. This is not normally every build on the site, but a percentage and then the results are cloned for the remainder. So speak to your developer about along these lines.

But you may need some qualitative testing to determine that the room is actually cooler than others and its not just your perception.

Sponsored Links
Has this just been built? Must be a big draft somewhere to make it cold in June?

not had mine on since April! Was hot very yesterday too, and today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back