Window Cill repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This window Cill needs some looking at and I'm not sure how best to level it out, I have some new windows coming and would really like this to look perfectly flat.
You can't really see from the pic but the further cill seems to slope back towards the window, I think the cill it self has split int he middle and dropped, now I might be able to pack it back level once I take the old window out but in case I can't whats the best way to make this cill look good again?

I take it any levelling would be too thin for a concrete render, and i read somewhere else of using car body filler or Murex a very hard external filler
Really appreciate any advice.
Alan[/img]

Sponsored Links
No experience of Murex :oops: but I can tell you car body filler will just sit on the stone waiting to loosen :cry: . It has it`s uses on car metalwork , but just a thin skim over a nice dollop of grade D solder - known as lead loading in the old car restoration game ;)

Yea well thats what I thought never used Car body filler before for building. but there must be someone that knows how to restore these things to nice and new? I was going to box it off and skim a new layer of concrete but a mate said it would be far to thin and just crack.

It looks like a join in the cill, just the other side of the pillar, when you take the window out, you should be able to rebed the cill to the correct position.
Id also clean the paint of the cill if they are stone, looks far better.

Sponsored Links
It looks like a join in the cill, just the other side of the pillar, when you take the window out, you should be able to rebed the cill to the correct position.
Id also clean the paint of the cill if they are stone, looks far better.

Yes thats what I'm hoping thanks mate, any idea what the best way of stripping these old cill's? Nitromours?

boom - you should use an epoxy patching mortar for any repairs to the cills. These Victorian cills are easy enough to fix ... get the 100 years of paint off first (I use a blowlamp & scraper - take care with the scraper that you don't damage the 'stone' below) or you could go messy with a chemical stripper and lots of bother. Try to mask the pillar bases from the heat as you'll not want to loosen the paint there ... where do you stop???

The only way to re-allign a cill with no or a negative fall is to have it out and re-bed but you'll only be able to do this if all the framing is whipped out. It is possible to 'skim' cills with epoxy patching mortar - you can get down to about 3 or 4mm thick which will adhere well but it needs to be keyed to the 'stone'; don't slap it onto the paint.

An angle grinder fitted with a stone cutting disc or a diamond disc will very useful for 'opening-out' any cracks wide enough for filling with the mortar. But you might be lucky to discover no cracks so will have the choice to re-paint or leave natural ... I'd paint 'cos I bet the rest of the cills in the house are painted and you don't want the repaired one to look the odd-man-out.

boom - you should use an epoxy patching mortar for any repairs to the cills. These Victorian cills are easy enough to fix ... get the 100 years of paint off first (I use a blowlamp & scraper - take care with the scraper that you don't damage the 'stone' below) or you could go messy with a chemical stripper and lots of bother. Try to mask the pillar bases from the heat as you'll not want to loosen the paint there ... where do you stop???

The only way to re-allign a cill with no or a negative fall is to have it out and re-bed but you'll only be able to do this if all the framing is whipped out. It is possible to 'skim' cills with epoxy patching mortar - you can get down to about 3 or 4mm thick which will adhere well but it needs to be keyed to the 'stone'; don't slap it onto the paint.

An angle grinder fitted with a stone cutting disc or a diamond disc will very useful for 'opening-out' any cracks wide enough for filling with the mortar. But you might be lucky to discover no cracks so will have the choice to re-paint or leave natural ... I'd paint 'cos I bet the rest of the cills in the house are painted and you don't want the repaired one to look the odd-man-out.

Thanks so much that sounds great advice, I'll strip it and try and rebed the stone when I pull out the old frames lol I hear you on the old paint stripping, been years since I've done some I think I still have a stripper some where (don't tell the wife :)
Any particular Epoxy mortar makes?

boom - I used the stuff made by Cementone ... always worked well. But there are quite a few on the market so you may want to go with the sort stocked by your local builders merchant; I suggest you Google, read the guff about how to, note the names of different makes then check-out the builders merchant. Chasing a particular make, say Cementone, might be a wild goose chase where you live, hence go armed with alternative makes. I shudder to recall the huge amount of time wasted trying to track-down named stuff back in the day before the advent of the internet.

If it's not to late- METOFAST 3 to 1 -is the stuff to use . It is a structural adhesive.
It's commonly used for bonding bricks and masonry (I use it in my business) . It can also be used for filling cracks and voids. I't is a 2 part mix and normally cures in 1 - 2 hours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back