New cable through exterior wall in 80s timber-framed house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heya guys,

Just posting this here as seeking advice really.
My father recently had a visit from a broadband service looking to install fiber to his property, built in the mid-to-late 80s.
Now I understand if a fair bit of the newer builds are timber-framed houses, and probably use cellotex / similar PIR board for insulation in the walls, possibly some extra moisture barriers, however the build described (roughly) by my father:
Wimpey timber-framed, plasterboard, fiberglass (in sealed bags), marine-grade ply/OSB with one-way moisture barrier/membrane (going out), gap + then the outer brick wall.

Now obviously drilling a hole through all this to fit a cable through can lead to rotting and fairly bad stuff like structural problems. You'll be bridging the gap from the brick to the wood, piercing the membrane, piercing the fiberglass bags (which don't dry out so easily) as well as probably causing the fiberglass to get thin at that point leading to less efficiency and internal damp spots.

Annoyingly there isn't any maintenance tubing or anything like that.
There is a current BT cable going through the wall - put in when the house was constructed - but that provides the current phone, sealed off, a massive mess of strands going through from the outside, and not large enough for the new fitters to fit through.

So my question is: other than replacing the fiberglass in the house, or pulling up flooring and digging/drilling a channel underneath the door or something, is there a realistic and sensible way to get new cables into (and out of - if power for external lighting was wanted) the house without potentially leading to issues?

--
old486whizz

Sponsored Links
Is the fibre installation to replace the existing service or supplement it?

If it's to replace then the solution (to me at least) is that in the day the provider does the internal fit they existing cable is removed from the wall and the fibre tube (about 6mm diameter) replaces the copper cable. Openreach always fit a connection hiding box where the external an internal fibres join. If it's BT then they will shift him to VOIP FoC as part of the fibre provision.

If it's a supplement service provision then it's run the cable up the wall and into the house at the Soffit and distribute from the loft. (ONT in the loft, needs mains supply; CAT6 from ONT to Router.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back