Timber framed homes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When a bungalow is 'Timber Framed' and then finished off with a brick exterior, do the timber frames have noggins or are they just sealed at the top and bottom with framing?
I'm curious about fitting some new electrics at a later date if there are noggins in the wall, and the floors are concrete, meaning the cables will have to be dropped down from the loft area.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the timber frame stud walls typically have noggins

Can you fit conduit now? Or fit the cables now?

No, it was built 5 years ago but in one room, both double sockets are on the same wall and we want another two fitting on the opposite wall. We have an electrician coming to do some work in a few months so will seek his advice to see if he can do something which is not too obtrusive, (something like mini trunking in the corner from the loft).

You don't really want to be breaking any vapour barriers by any work on or in the frame, or if necessary, the barrier must be made good.

There may not be any horizontal noggins, it depends on the construction design.

Sponsored Links
If it's an external wall, it will be full of insulation. There will be a service void for the cables.

If it's an external wall, it will be full of insulation. There will be a service void for the cables.
The service void for the cables, to and from, the consumer unit is in a central wall outside the bathroom. The mains incomer from the meter cupboard, (which is on an outside, side wall), comes up in the corner and is then 'snaked' across the joists by the eaves before running between the joists above the consumer unit, (which is in an airing type cupboard). There may be conduit/service voids to the existing sockets/light switches but I want to put two separate double sockets in the lounge on the external wall. The two current sockets are on an internal wall, directly opposite to where I want the new ones.
What about my thoughts on mini-trunking run up in the corners and the cables fed into the sockets through a side knockout? Is it feasible? As the sockets are on a ring, can the electrician tap into the ring and fit maintenance-free junction boxes, as eventually the loft will be boarded out with no access to cables.

Yes, it's all possible. Even cutting a panel of plasterboard out, floor to ceiling, with an oscillating multi tool, then reinstating it after and filtering it is possible

Rings can be extended without need for MF junction boxes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back