New ceiling - old cornice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may need to replace the lathe & plaster ceiling in the living room. Problem is that the coving on the ceiling is beautiful and one of the few "period features" remaining in my flat.

Does anyone have any experience/advice on dropping a lathe & plaster ceiling whilst keeping the existing coving? Is it even possible??

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sponsored Links
Very tricky,could you not make goods and replaster the old ceiling instead ?

You have several options, varying in expense and messiness. You could patch the existing, this is the cheapest and least messy. Make sure you chase out the cracks back to the lathes then use Bonding to fill in. The bonding splurged up above the lathes and secures the patches of intact plaster ("islands") between the cracks ("rivers"). When chasing out avoid the temptation to eat away into the islands just because they appear loose at the edges - the exposed edge will always appear loose however far back you go. More efficient to remove only that which is really loose and rely on the Bonding do its job. You would most likely to need lining paper after this type of repair. The next is to fasten plasterboard over the existing plaster and get in a professional to skim it. The benefit here is you dont have the mess of removing the old plaster. The cornice is usually not denigraded with this method since you are lowering ceiling by less than half an inch. Finally, drop the ceiling. You can do this carefully around the edges so as keep the cornice intact. Any small damage can usually be successfully repaired with casting (or even finish) plaster. This is really messy. You will need all the protective gear including the gas mask style breathing mask, and tape up around the doors to prevent the dust destroying your house! If any section of cornice does have to be replaced you are in for a bill of around £200 per foot. If you are feeling very adventurous (I have tried this) get a book on plastering from your library and check out how to run your own cornice. You may need a workshop for this. Is the cornice the straight type, which can be "combed", or the flowery type, which cannot?

Doris - its the straight type. The ceiling itself is covered in a horrid patterned lining paper which is uneven and loose in parts. It doesnt seem to be sagging so I guess its a question of removing the paper and seeing what confronts me!

Sponsored Links
You may want to use a steam stripper to minimise damage. But be ready for some arm ache.

We recently had to replace a lath and plaster ceiling along with the straight run cornice. We found a plaster shop in Wrexham who produced the cornice for us on a supply basis only, the whole cost of replacing the moulding was was under £500. we fixed up the replacement moulding ourselves and now the room back to its former glory. and thankfully there was no need to put up the dreaded Gyproc Cove.

Does anyone mass produce simple straight Victorian style coving? The original one is not particularly complicated and I'd hate to have to use an inappropriate style.

I suggest that you call to your local builders merchant and ask to see a sample of 5" gyproc cornice which is formed in plasterboard like the cove ,It has a bit more defination than the cove and looks great when used together with plaster strips under the wall and ceiling edges

I'm redoing a whole house bit by bit, and I've taken down walls and ceilings in two rooms so far, lath and plaster.

Place near me puts up really good fine plaster coving for a whole room for about £300.

Looks absolutely gorgeous after it's finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back