New Central Heating System - Help?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am refurbishing a 3 bed terrace property which we have now completely gutted. We are just waiting for a number of plumbers to return their quotations. They will be fitting a whole new central heating system.

As with all these things we are getting conflicting advice. The whole ground floor area is solid concrete.

Should they be installing the pipework in floor chases? or should they be bringing the pipes down chases in the walls?

If it should be in the floor, what is the standard method for protecting the pipes? Lagging, conduit etc?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
That's your choice.

Cheapest to bring down from above and nicest in floor chases!

Should be insulated in floor and I use foam type.

Tony

As said, pipework in chases looks better, but can add a fair bit to labour costs. Drops from above can be done creatively to minimise visual impact.

Run pipes down in corner of rooms where they will be hidden by curtains. Pipes can also be run down through built in cupboards and cloakrooms, even under stair cases - then out horizontally at skirting level into rooms to the bottom of rads.

In my bungalow, some pipes are concealed as above. Where it wasn''t possible and they run down the walls visibly in a couple of rooms, you don't even notice it after a while.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses guys.

Not too worried about cost as I plan to do all the chasing work myself. More concerned about best practice to be honest.

If the pipes go in the floor should they be in ducting or is flexible conduit adequate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back