New Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I really could do with some advice on fitting a new central heating system. I have worked off old systems before and added new pipes, etc, but never attempted a whole new system.
I have just bought a new house, and there is no central heating in the place. I have decided to try and install the pipe-work and radiators myself, and then get a professional to fit a combi-boiler.
The only problem is where to find information about how the piping needs to be laid out, does each rooms pipe's go to the boiler, etc.
Furthermore, I am trying to decide on the type of pipes to use; some of my friends have recommended using plastic pipes instead of copper - as they are easier to install. However, I can't seem to find a cheap supplier, or a supplier at all. Also, I have read reports that some people's plastic pipes have been chewed through by mice - causing more damage.

I would really appreciate any help, advice, details of a cheap supplier.

Sponsored Links
unless you know you have rather a problem with rodents, dont worry about this. Our heating system starts from the boiler with 22mm copper pipes. First radiator is in the bathroom, which is branched off with microbore 8mm, and 15mm pipework goes from here to the rest of the radiators, each rad being fed with 8mm microbore copper. The rest also have TRVs.

My grandma's system was installed 3 years ago in plastic, but i think the first couple of metres from the boiler have to be copper for heat reasons. Plastic is easier to work with, and is more flexible, these are the main benefits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back