New CH/DHW system advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am hoping that the more knowledgeable people here can give me some advice. I am currently completely renovating a 4 bed stone-built terraced house and I am quickly approaching the point where I need to start thinking about CH/DHW system design. The property has 1 bath/shower and an additional en-suite shower.

The house originally had a fairly recently installed (<7yrs) unvented CH system driven by an older (but very reliable) Mistral non-condensing oil-fired boiler (OFB). This also indirectly heated the DHW via an electrically operated zone valve and coil in the conventional open-vented direct copper cylinder.

In addition, the property also has a solid fuel/woodburning stove (WBS) of ~10kW o/p to water, which directly heated the DHW but not the CH!
http://www.rayburn-web.co.uk/Prodin...iler/CBD Severn Blr user 09_04 EOPI 33743.pdf
In its previous incarnation this additional water often went to waste (as it was not used for CH) rather than being used for baths etc.

This existing setup has largely been removed, although the WBS and OFB are remain installed in their respective original locations, (which I intend to reconnect to the new system).

For the new system, I would like to combine the OFB, and WBS and also solar. From my research, I understand that the easiest way to do this is with a thermal store (TS). I realise that there is lots of debate and opponents and proponents for the use of stores. I am not here to stir-up debate, I would just like some sound advice from people who have experience of TS and who know what they are talking about. I should make it clear that and I am yet to be convinced one way or the other and open to alternative suggestion/s for different systems.

So my proposed plan is for a system which includes a 250L TS made by this company:

http://www.copperindustries.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/MaxiPod-TechSpec-v2.pdf

This would be coupled to the existing OFB and WBS (both open-vented) and in time a solar installation. Is this a good choice? If not, why not? I know some people do not like coil heat exchangers but high DHW flow-rates/demand are not a great concern for us.

My other questions relate to to some of the installation details:

1. Is a 'heat-leak' required for the WBS

2. Should I be concerned about return temp. for the OFB from the store to prevent it fromcycling excessively, and if so how can this be addressed?

2. What size F+E tank is required? Someone has suggested ~20L but this doesn't sound quite right to me -perhaps I'm wrong...

Many thanks in advance for any advice...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back