new combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i have been doing a little research on this forum into different makes of boiler. at the moment i am needing to replace my baxi bermunda 551 boiler (just died) with a wall mounted (in the loft) combi and i have been looking at the biasi garda 32kw.

i am basing the 32kw on my neighbour having replace his with a vaillant 828/2 e (31.4kw) a couple of years ago and our houses are the same layout/size (3 bed,one bathroom, 6 rads plus towel rail).

and i am after opinions with wether this model is okay or look for a different make/model

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Firstly, if your putting it in the loft then you require a fixed ladder to access the loft, a permenant light, the floor boarded out and if the boiler is near the hatch then a guard rail should be fitted around the hatch opening to prevent service engieers falling through it!

As far as heat output is concerned; A 24kw would be ample for the radiators you have, providing thewre not huge! The reason people opt for higher output combi's is to get a fster flow rate through your hot tap.

24kw roughly 9 ltr/min, 28kw 11ltr/min, 30, 12.5ltr/min etc (just rough estimations, vary from model to model)

With one bathroom i would save some money and put a 28kw or equivilent in.

As for biasi, fitted a few, heard stories about more, personally i'd save up and fit a vaillant, or second best a worcester. (IMO)

Sam

Biasis are very cheap, quality as to be expected. 32 kw is more than you need, but will give nice strong shower.
Look up other threads on the quality of brands, there are hundreds.
Finally, find a good installer and follow his advice on size and make.

thanks for the quick replies,
fixed ladder to access the loft, a permenant light, the floor boarded out and if the boiler is near the hatch then a guard rail
have the above but need a guard rail, depends what you mean by big radiator? open plan livingroom/kitchen /diner - two rads (150x70 double and 120 x40 double convector)

Sponsored Links
just been and measured the radiators

2 x 1000x500 single convector (bedroom), 500x500 single convector(bedroom), 1650x600 double (hall), 1500x700 double (kitchen/diner) and 1200x400 double convector (livingroom).

it has been mentioned before to me that if i get rid of the hot water tank to put a small rad in the airing cupboard.

Radiator sizes are fine. I would advise against a rad in cylinder cupboard, as in the summer it will be useless. Instead get a little electric tube heater with its own timer so you can use it all year round regardless of the rest of the heating.

Take into account the price, performance (ltrs/min HW) flueing options/clearances, warrenty period, most boilers have built in frost stats now but check if your going in the loft. Also efficency (band A or B)

If it's being installed by a registered installer most have there favorite boilers anyway and some may be approved installers for certain manufacturers so can offer more competitive pricing on certain makes etc

Do you have a specific budget in mind?

Sam

budget is a bit tight, just been looking at a few retailers screwfix,b&q, online companies. to get a feel for pricing i know the first two proberley aren't the best but i can get a discount through family,no-one wants to give a competive price to non trade at the trade outlets if your no trade. (generlisation i know).
will be a registered fitter

oooh dodgy - did you know that 99% of faulty installations leaks and exsplosions are caused by Corgi registered installers :?: :LOL:

How can you tell that Durgo is not CORGI registered?

In any case his figures are wrong! The actual statistics show that its far less risky if the employ a CORGI and then you always have the backup of complaining to CORGI if anything goes wrong.

Tony

oooh dodgy - did you know that 99% of faulty installations leaks and exsplosions are caused by Corgi registered installers :?: :LOL:

How can you tell that Durgo is not CORGI registered?

In any case his figures are wrong! The actual statistics show that its far less risky if the employ a CORGI and then you always have the backup of complaining to CORGI if anything goes wrong.

Tony

Complaining to Corgi after a serious mishap may rerquire the help of a medium :LOL:
As it goes, I'm not corgi SO I don't do boilers BECAUSE ITS ILEGAL which is WHY Corgi guys have the priveledge of being responsable for NUMEROUS faulty installations - CORGI doesn't mean infalable.
The guy I got round to fit my mums Ravenheat is Corgi registered btw ;) BUT my point is...DON'T just look for a Corgi installer - look for a reputable, exsperienced Corgi installer.

Hey, did you know that Lawn bowls has more deaths every year than boxing and motorsport put together? :LOL:

A good budget boiler is the Broag rehema Advanta 28C.

Top quality would be Vaillant or Worcester.

because of the price i can get them at, it's going to be a biasi garda 32kw or possibly a 28kw. i can wait a little longer for the bath to fill and my manual shower currently runs from the hot water tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back