New Combi ----Reommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm replacing my boiler, present one is some 15yrs old has packed in so time for a new one.

When I start to arrange quotes, some I feel are going to be more bias towards their own profit margin and giving me a system which is too good.

My current model is rated at 24kw and is I believe adaquate for my use, Ive read that the 'Glowworm range is very good and may be tops. Any advise would be realy helpful before I begin to get people in.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We all consume by making certain decisions, I think you should consider Product, Price, Promotion, People and Place. This is how the marketeers are trying to lure you as a customer right now.

First decide how much you are willing to splash out on a new 'ENGINE' for your house, you can then start researching that which is within your price limitations. You may well find some promotions that enable you to upgrade at the same cost.

Invite as many Plumbing companies as you can endure to price up the job and get a general overview and an idea of the differing personalities out there, some of whom you may not like.

Discuss your requirements with the ones you do and aim to pay under budget, but knowing that total cost will be what you set out to spend as hidden extras always occur.

Thinks 5P's and you won't go wrong...!

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

"Invite as many Plumbing companies as you can endure....."

Thanks for that!! I really appreciate being one of ten companies to quote for a job. It's wasting my time and that of the customers. Three quotes is more than enough.

To answer the original question:
I suggest Vaillant ecoTEC or Worcester Bosch 28i junior. I fit a lot of boilers and these two are the best (in my opinion).

Sponsored Links
mave said:
"Invite as many Plumbing companies as you can endure....."

Thanks for that!! I really appreciate being one of ten companies to quote for a job. It's wasting my time and that of the customers. Three quotes is more than enough

Here here

Good luck with whatever combi you have fitted if you live in the south east

:):)

See, they all think they should be given the job on merit. ENDURE as many of these clowns as possible and remember they are after realising their own assessed valued worth. **** takers most of em....!

Glowworm that you mentioned are as good as most and are being sold very cheaply by Mr Central Heating. Must make sure that the pipes and rads are clean enough.

One estimate I did a few years ago she rang me 10 minutes after I was due there, where are you? (It's only an estimate for goodness sake!). Anyhow I got a good telling off for being late, so I took a dislike to her and added £100.

Sadly I got the job, thought about refusing to do it, but thought better of it.

Anyhow in the event she got out the bacon sandwiches on the day and has turned out to be one of my good customers. It transpired that she had a whole string of us booked in throughout the day for the estimates and she was worried I would still be there when the next guy came. My quote was between middle and top (would have been middle if I hadn't loaded it for my assessment of customer weighting).

I was gobsmacked she had bothered to have folk round all day.

My problem at the moment is not getting round to typing out my estimate for weeks, meanwhile I notice a competitors van outside doing the job.

good another view on the topic, it all works, all ways with all of us,

In fact it is our differences which bind us all together......!

:rolleyes:

Paul there is a simple solution to that problem which affects many installers.

Work out the price and TELEPHONE it to her keeping a proper note! Tell her that if she finds it attractive then you will confirm it in writing but it helps you to keep your costs down if you only give written quote when they are likely to be accepted.

On the few cases when yours are likely to be accepted then give ALL the detail and specify EXACTLY what you are going to supply AND the guaranty you give.

I never give free visits to quote. I ask questions on the phone and give a budgetary price. If its accepted then I visit and write it up.

MOST requests for quotes are just wanting to get free designs and specifications. I offer to do that for £100 so they can then hawk it around for the best price.

Tony

Yes very good points Tony.

A recent one I spent ages working out where to put new boiler, I had already seen biggest competitors van outside, when he phoned to chase my quote. I said I see you've had a few estimates in, did any of them think of any other way to do it? No they all thought your way was right. Oh good I thought, I've done all the hard slog they can walse in and take the job.

Yes you have a very good point Tony.

Theres not a single installer or company that likes to lose jobs, I recently lost a contract to install a large quantity of condensing combis and was already planning a longer summer holiday before it all went titz up.

We can only do the best we can...!

From the customers point of view I would always advise them to waste your time as it is very apparent that the industry quite often utilises the customers money for their own selfish gain and in effect wastes the customers money.

This only happens to customers who are totally uninformed and as far as I can see is legalised robberry without a gun.

I fully understand that there are ultimately quotation wars within the trade but with so many ruthless quoters out there my advice to the customer stands.

Obviously I DO NOT have this conversation with my own customers, but this is a forum in which people are asking for opinions from those that have one.

Thanks guys for all your replies, its very interesting, comical and at times helpful reading them. :LOL:

One last question if I may??

Ive just done the 'leymans' way of calculating the advised Btu rateings per room(cubic ft x 5, 4 or 3 plus % addition or - ) and for a livingroom 16 x 11 this = 1056btu. Now if my rad is 120 x 60 this = 6793 btu, so why the fast difference between the two???? :?: My total CF =66248btu

Also, If my total rad output (+ 30% for DHW) at present is 40000btu,is there any need for me to go for a 80k btu new boiler??? :?:

Or should I just leave it all to the '''experts''' :?:

When calculating there are other factors to take into consideration, not only length and width of room but also height, how many outside walls are there to the room and what type of flooring and wall insulation do you have. Its a very simple calculation when you have the simple calculator.

If not its a bit of a guesstimate.....!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back