New combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I think for us it may be time to replace our combi boiler.

Currently we have a vaillant turbomax. Not sure exactly which model.

Was installed approx 15 years ago and its been bulletproof and reliable the whole time. Recently we have been having a f28 error This could happen once a week or a couple of times during the day.

Currently have british has homecare. Their last person attended and said it was fluctuating water pressure, reading on the internet this doesnt seem correct as the web says its gas/ignition related issue. We have them coming back this friday First engineer was more interested in selling us a new boiler.

My question is, for the boiler of this age, are parts readily available and is it worth repairing, or should be bite the bullet and replace, really reluctant as we have just had a lot of work done in the house.

Second part of the question, what are peoples opinions on "boxt" they seem very well priced

Or

Any engineers on here based in Leicester

Sorry for long post

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, parts are readily available and your boiler is worth repairing. Boxt et al are cheap for a reason; if you are going to get it done, spend a bit more on a good quality recommended local independent installer

Good afternoon Ghummy,

I would keep calling British Gas until you get an engineer who’s willing to repair your boiler. Most parts are readily available and others wait a few days, but the point is they are available. Fluctuating water pressure has nothing to do with it. You are correct in it’s gas/ignition related. You may want to check the condensate pipe isn’t blocked, are there any other appliances? It could be gas meter related - are you on a credit meter?

Good afternoon Ghummy,

I would keep calling British Gas until you get an engineer who’s willing to repair your boiler. Most parts are readily available and others wait a few days, but the point is they are available. Fluctuating water pressure has nothing to do with it. You are correct in it’s gas/ignition related. You may want to check the condensate pipe isn’t blocked, are there any other appliances? It could be gas meter related - are you on a credit meter?

thank you all for the responses. with regard to the above, this is not a condensing boiler. we do not have a credit meter as per information on the internet, first thing i always try is the gas hob to see if there is gas, and there always is. boiler will always fire up first time when reset. just a pain with if locks out, not too much of an issue in the day, mainly the morning when we wake up and find theres no heating.

only gas appliances in the house are the boiler and a gas hob if this makes any difference.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
just tell BG that you want a proper engineer in to fix your problem as per your contract, not a poke and go clueless cowboy, tell them that if they can not fox it you want them to pay for a vaillant engineer to call at their expense, very easy boiler to repair , they are as always completely at it trying to sell a new boiler

hi all

just wanted an update, i did as advised and called BG and raised hell, they are coming back today afternoon. i did however notice that our boiler only locked out and showed F28 when not in use, or when the boiler was using its "warmstart" feature. i did switch this off to experiment and today we have woken up to a warm house with no lockout, 24 hours and no lockout. i found this interesting, but im no engineer.

at the same time, i thought i would prepare for worse case scenario, had a engineer round last night to quote for new system as it will likely be more efficient than my 17 year old.

was quoated £2077 for combi to combi swap - Vaillant ecotec Pro 24kw, (only 8 radiators in house, no bathtub, only electric shower and cubicle) this price includes power flush, magnetic filter, gas upgrade to 22mm and hive smart thermostat.

is this in the ball park for installs in the midlands?

thanks again

Turning off the Warmstart feature means fewer ignition cycles through the day. Fewer cycles means less chance of it going wrong if it's an intermittent fault.

£2077 isn't a bad price for replacing it, but you're never going to earn that back in efficiency savings.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Further update, and apologies for posting again

Had BG engineer round today. Only way i can describe him is "proper old school"

He stripped it down. Gave it a good clean, pumped up the expansion vessel and diagnosed a faulty pcb He is coming back next week to fit a new one

He said something about the gas meter governor may be sticking and said next time it locks out, i should turn on the gas hob then reset the boiler. Dont fully understand by what this means

However, boiler been on all evening and my radiators have never been so hot Even the t'other half has noticed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back